End of line QT

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2011
Messages
1,998
Reaction score
2,196
Location
Arroyo Grande
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For those running an end of the line QT, how do you deal with slow salinity increase?

For example, I have a small end of line quarantine tank. My system does a 3 gallon a day water exchange into that tank. Today. I have been dealing with the slight salinity increase due to evaporation by simply dumping in a couple of cups of fresh water a few times a week.

Because it is a water exchange system that is outleted via gravity, it would be impossible to simply add a float valve. So I'm wondering how people deal with these slow increase of salinity on systems like this. Does anybody have any clever ideas?
 
Does this mean that:
- Your AWC dumps 3 gallons/day into your QT (end of line)
- That 3 gallons/day never exits the QT other than via evaporation
...just trying to understand

*or maybe that 3 gallons/day still overflows out of QT, you just never add any fresh water to handle evaporation?
NEVER MIND -- I think that's what you mean -- can't figure out how to delete this post,,, sorry

P.S. I don't do anything like this but was just curious
 
I have overflow the end of line QT so thath old SW leaves the QT that way I also have a cheap gravity fed ATO that is a bit below the overflow so at night where there is no tank water from main tank coming in and water goes down the ATO drops fresh water. QT is usually 1 ppt higher than my Display this way
 
*or maybe that 3 gallons/day still overflows out of QT, you just never add any fresh water?
This.

And actually I am adding freshwater manually in the amount of about 4 cups a week. So we are talking about a pretty slow increase.

3 gallons leave the main system daily.
Enters the qt. There is a gravity drain at water level so when water enters the qt tank older water is pushed out the gravity drain.

3 gallons of water is two little an amount to deal with the slight evaporation in that aquarium. So over the course of about a week and a half I will get a slight salinity rise. We are talking 1.025 to 1.026 or 7 over the course of a week. So it's pretty slight but it still exists. I could dramatically up the amount of water that is exchanged and that would slow the salinity rise significantly, but then I would have to go through significantly more make up water
 
So you need a separate AWC system on your QT that replaces saltwater with freshwater that you can dial in -- DOH!
Okay, in your opinion how does that work since you cannot use float valve or float switch?
 
I have overflow the end of line QT so thath old SW leaves the QT that way I also have a cheap gravity fed ATO that is a bit below the overflow so at night where there is no tank water from main tank coming in and water goes down the ATO drops fresh water. QT is usually 1 ppt higher than my Display this way
Okay, I see some merit to this. My issue however, is that my system does exchanges 24 hours a day. I imagine I could change that easily enough
 
Okay, in your opinion how does that work since you cannot use float valve or float switch?
I was actually kinda joking and know nothing but I figured you'd use two dosing pumps to extract saltwater and add freshwater, then dial-in the amount via timer or whatever.
*not suggesting that's financially reasonable in this case though
 
I was actually kinda joking and know nothing but I figured you'd use two dosing pumps to extract saltwater and add freshwater, then dial-in the amount via timer or whatever.
*not suggesting that's financially reasonable in this case though
Actually, there's some merit to this?, I could simply add a additional pump that would just pull fresh water from time to time. I would have to monitor for a while to really dial it in. That might be the easiest solution for me.

I wouldn't need 2. As the salt water change out already uses two pumps. I would just need to make an educated guess at roughly how much fresh water needed adding I may do this
 
Actually, there's some merit to this?, I could simply add a additional pump that would just pull fresh water from time to time. I would have to monitor for a while to really dial it in. That might be the easiest solution for me.
Makes sense if it's worth the money.
Basically, just automate what you're doing manually now (dumping in RODI periodically).
 
Makes sense if it's worth the money.
Basically, just automate what you're doing manually now (dumping in RODI periodically).
The money won't be much compared to my overall investment. I have a large aquarium that is very automated. I have several peristaltic pumps not in use. I'll just have to set it up.
 
Sorry I guess I'm miss understanding. I change 4 liters 5 times a day with two pumps in and out and have no problem with an ATO keeping up with evaporation.
Maybe, qt it is not large 20 gallons total. And having an apex do the change with their awc programing with out any modifications it does several very small exchanges daily. As a result and with surface agitation a float valve or switch was having a hard time. So salinity will slowly increase over time.

Hope that makes more sense
 
Maybe, qt it is not large 20 gallons total. And having an apex do the change with their awc programing with out any modifications it does several very small exchanges daily. As a result and with surface agitation a float valve or switch was having a hard time. So salinity will slowly increase over time.

Hope that makes more sense
Gotcha. Ya it would probably have to be an ATO with an optical sensor vs a float valve. I have a cheap one ($40ish) in a 40g breeder with no sump and it works very well even with a lot of surface agitation. My RO system will to turn on if I barely bump the brute with a float valve.
 
Thanks all for the input,
For now I think I'll try @EricR s solution of a peristaltic pump and dialing in the fresh water inlet. I know it will still creep in one direction or another but I already check it fairly regularly as is.
 
What is the origin of this "end of line" idea? I've never heard it mentioned prior to this. (Just curious to read more.)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new