Engineer Goby w/ Shrimp

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon aquarium that has an engineer goby (14+"), an ocellaris clown pair (2"), a striped fang blenny (1"), a longspined urchin, nassarius and bumblebee snails, and a zebra hermit crab (left clawed). I purchased the bumblebee snails and 2 peppermint shrimp on 04/01. Until today I have seen one perching in a cave that is on the opposite side of my engineer goby's territory. I am worried that my engineer goby ate the peppermint shrimp. They were quite large, about 2-3". There are two small pieces of exoskeleton near the place my engineer goby likes to hang out. Ik its likely that the peppermint shrimp just shed their exoskeleton, but the pieces are more colored. One's exoskeleton is stuck to my filter and its transparent. I have had one other peppermint shrimp in the past anf he also shed a colored exoskeleton when I first acquired him, but it still worries me. Is it more likely the peppermint shrimp are just out of sight or that he ate them?

I have heard that adult engineer gobies can eat ornamental shrimps, but I expected the shrimps in question to be smaller shrimp like the sexy shrimp. My engineer goby in particular is a picky eater. Since babyhood he has only eaten Ocean Nutrition pellets and algae wafers. I feed my fish an assortment of food so I have always hoped one day he would start to eat the shrimp and flakes I feed the other fish but no such luck. I have seen mysis shrimp float just in front of his face, to no avail. When it comes to sand shifting, he doesn't do much of that either. I have a hollow piece of aquarium decor that he uses as a cave (it twists and turns like a maze so I call him Daedalus) and he generally makes a hollow underneath it and that's it. Because of this compared to other descriptions I've read about eningeer gobies, I've always seen mine as a lethargic fellow. He never swims swiftly the few times he has swam around the aquarium so I have a hard time believing he snapped up two large shrimp before they could jump back liks shrimp do.I still plan to watch out for the shrimp, but I wanted to hear if anyone else has had their engineer gobies dining on larger shrimp.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 14" Engineer goby could easily eat those shrimp for and apetizer and finish off the meal with either an ocellaris clown or a striped fang blenny for the main course. He is already getting algae wafer salad so he seems to have good taste and a great menu.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
surprise eat GIF by Digg

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulp..... just one gulp. I had 2 engineer gobes right at 14 inch's long... Everything happened so quickly one day! Everything disappeared very quickly, extremely quickly over 4 day's... psssst gone shrimp.... :face-with-tears-of-joy::loudly-crying-face:

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. I'm planning on moving fish around, upgrading my 60g semi aggressive tank into a 90g sump and then was going to move the 75g fish into the 60g to be a peaceful tank. Ig Daedalus is staying in the 75g because I don't plan on getting any big fish like a marine betta and I want to have crustaceans for this tank. I plan to make the 75g into an aggressive tank, haven't decided what I want besides a bluechin trigger female. I was thinking about getting two other fish in there, looking specifically at tangs, hawkfish, and wrasses (Maori to be specific). Tbh I specifically want a yellow tang and a hawkfish, but I've heard that live rock can sometimes have things like baby mantis shrimp in there, so I was thinking it might be nice if I could use the 75g as a liverock quarantine tank and have the fish in there clean off any potential predators. I've only heard Maori wrasse specifically eating baby mantis shrimp though, idk if the trigger or a hawkfish like a Blood Red or Flame would. I imagine the trigger and blood red should be capable (I'm more partial to Flame though tbh). Would these be compatible companions for Daedalus and are there any other fish I should look into that would be good for this type of liverock work?
This is going off topic from my thread, sorry about that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back