ENGReef - El Final. [Bommie Reef Tank]

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings R2R!

This build began early summer last year as a garage find. I purchased a ~75g rimless tank from a local reefer with the intention to make a DIY custom reef tank. Ironically it sat in my garage for the better part of 2019 until I noticed my current CADlights 34 was starting to look crowded. This tank is essentially my dream build, drawing on all the aesthetics and equipment that I have come to love over the better part of 10 years in this hobby. By no means am I an expert, as I am constantly learning and growing with this hobby. This tank is what I hope to be my final mixed reef build that I have been working towards since my first tank, a JBJ Picotope, in 2009. Many things have changed in my personal growth as well as the reef tank industry, and now I finally feel that I am ready to truly start and maintain the mixed reef of my dreams.

Enjoy!

Current FTS 4/2020

60894013578__70B35102-6148-40AB-93D7-3E58710006B9.JPEG

Background

I would like to first show you the contents of this tank roughly 4 years prior. I had just moved into an apartment to finish my degree at a local University and wanted to continue practicing my hobby. The tank was a CADlights 34 with a stand found at a Homegoods (for those not from the area, its a large discount retailer for many home items).

FTS summer of 2016

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG

I kept this tank in the above condition for approximately two years into fall of 2018.
Unfortunately, a crash and decline in my free time led to most of the coral dying off, except for
the rock on the left. All that survived this period was the massive Grandis paly colony, leather, and three RBTA's.

Concept

Heavily inspired by SonnyX on Reef Central since the begging, I have always wanted to build a rimless shallow reef tank. This build also drew heavily on a minimalist and clean aquascape. Although I am completely into the SPS dominant look, I have become very aware of my limitations with this hobby and decided on a mixed reef with a few SPS pieces that have done well for me in past set ups.

The tank had a few requirements aside from its contents. First the stand would have to be custom built to fit in its designated area along with my living room furniture. Second, I needed to have as little wiring and equipment showing as possible. The following are progress photos from December:

Drilling & Overflow
60668503878__2D4FCF25-6B99-4CA4-A669-B620A91169EF.JPG
IMG_3721.jpg

DIY Stand:

IMG_3706.jpg 60667872609__5AF3655E-7806-43C1-86BE-E83055DC0EA7.JPG

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome31.gif

OP
OP
ENGReef

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooooo! Reefcleaners package arrived today!

the bags were a little warm, but the crew looks good!
1587683952612.jpeg

many thanks to John Maloney @ reefcleaners! He’s been there since my first tank in 2009!!!!

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ENGReef, did you start out with live rock, or with dry rock? You dial up your white channel during the day or mostly stick with blue?

Looks really great, love the custom stand and having overflow drilled on the side.

OP
OP
ENGReef

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ENGReef, did you start out with live rock, or with dry rock? You dial up your white channel during the day or mostly stick with blue?

Looks really great, love the custom stand and having overflow drilled on the side.

I started out with live rock transferred from the CADlights 34 when I upgraded. Back when it was all in the 34, I bought one huge chunk of rock with the Grandis Palys that was completely covered in coraline. It seeded the tank in a little less than a month!

I stick with mostly blue on the lighting, ramping up the blue and royal blue channels during the day. I'm running one of the signature maps from AI's website, Eddie Putras', all thought on a different ramp up and ramp down so i can better enjoy my aquarium during the work week.
1589244326436.png

Thanks on the stand! I refinished our coffee table I made several years ago to better match in our living room!
1589244655316.png

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it looks great. I asked because your SPS frags seem to be doing pretty well for a 1 year tank. It's something I determined recently about the rock. I started my new 100g build a year ago, and started with all dry rock -- my previous tank had a lot of algae and pests, and I just wanted a clean start. I regret not using the old rock though, or just going with live rock -- pests be darned.

It seems obvious to me now that SPS is just 10x more difficult if you start with dry rock. If I were to do it again, I would risk invasion using true live rock just to have that stability. Well, lesson learned -- at least for the future of my tanks I'll keep the same rocks and transfer tank to tank. No more dry starts!

OP
OP
ENGReef

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it looks great. I asked because your SPS frags seem to be doing pretty well for a 1 year tank. It's something I determined recently about the rock. I started my new 100g build a year ago, and started with all dry rock -- my previous tank had a lot of algae and pests, and I just wanted a clean start. I regret not using the old rock though, or just going with live rock -- pests be darned.

It seems obvious to me now that SPS is just 10x more difficult if you start with dry rock. If I were to do it again, I would risk invasion using true live rock just to have that stability. Well, lesson learned -- at least for the future of my tanks I'll keep the same rocks and transfer tank to tank. No more dry starts!
interesting observation! I have to admit I have yet to try harder to keep acros in any tanks prior to this one.

I recently ordered a few wild colonies from AquaSD , hoping for the best!

OP
OP
ENGReef

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like my velvet outbreak fatalities have come to an end. My yellow tang is the lone survivor. Its eating well and really active with no physical symptoms anymore.

OP
OP
ENGReef

ENGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick top down in my new pieces

also, I noticed nice growth on the Bali slimer, which is finally growing upward. Lastly, my monti cap has colored up nicely! Anyone know what color morph I have?(the pink rimmed one)

9BCC462D-5343-461E-9FDF-8E6464C76883.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back