Entering corals/fish

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my clean up crew. My LFS said that I can start to add fish in about a week. I am planning on getting a couple clown fish. I want to get a tang and a couple fire fish and gobys. But just wanted to see if I can enter corals and fish into the same time or should I break it up into two different times. It would only be a couple fish and maybe 1-2 corals. Nothing to crazy, but just want to see.

would it be okay to add two clown fish and maybe a fire fish with one coral or a clown fishx2 and a angel fish With one coral? Or is that to much into the rank at once. I have a 46 gallon tank.
Thanks for your input!

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the race. Do not rush adding any fish or coral. It’s also strange to me to add a clean up crew before fish. Usually fish first, then coral, then add a clean up crew as needed. I’ve always added fish and coral in alternating patterns to ensure the natural bacteria in the tank has a chance to populate

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my clean up crew. My LFS said that I can start to add fish in about a week. I am planning on getting a couple clown fish. I want to get a tang and a couple fire fish and gobys. But just wanted to see if I can enter corals and fish into the same time or should I break it up into two different times. It would only be a couple fish and maybe 1-2 corals. Nothing to crazy, but just want to see.

would it be okay to add two clown fish and maybe a fire fish with one coral or a clown fishx2 and a angel fish With one coral? Or is that to much into the rank at once. I have a 46 gallon tank.
Thanks for your input!
I think your first fish should be just one fish. Start with one, wait a week or two, add the next, wait, etc. I would add the fish before the coral, even just the first fish before coral. In case you do get a tiny ammonia spike it won't hurt the coral, which tend to be rather sensitive and would add to the ammonia.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your first fish should be just one fish. Start with one, wait a week or two, add the next, wait, etc. I would add the fish before the coral, even just the first fish before coral. In case you do get a tiny ammonia spike it won't hurt the coral, which tend to be rather sensitive and would add to the ammonia.
Thank you for the input! i am definitely going to take it slow! And not rush it all! Will definitely be doing a few fish! I do a question about my snails.. I bought about 15 of them. I noticed about 4 of them have been staying at the top of the tank? Is there a reason to why they are staying up there? The rest are all at the bottom!

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the race. Do not rush adding any fish or coral. It’s also strange to me to add a clean up crew before fish. Usually fish first, then coral, then add a clean up crew as needed. I’ve always added fish and coral in alternating patterns to ensure the natural bacteria in the tank has a chance to populate
Definitely will take that into consideration and not all at once! They advised/read some articles on entering the clean up crew into the tank first. I am looking to enter some fish into the tank next week.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! i am definitely going to take it slow! And not rush it all! Will definitely be doing a few fish! I do a question about my snails.. I bought about 15 of them. I noticed about 4 of them have been staying at the top of the tank? Is there a reason to why they are staying up there? The rest are all at the bottom!
If most are on the bottom I wouldn't read into it too much. Sometimes snails are just weirdos and go to the top in my experience anyways.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back