epoxy for corals

heliguy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the best epoxy for glueing live rock to live rock and frag plugs to live rock.i have read many reviews and none seem to be that great,any ideas.

thanks

I

inactive

View Badges
The best way to do it, is out of the tank of course.... which is usually never the case, there is some light for you.

There are many different types of epoxy for reef tanks, the problem is that the ones marketed for reefs cost an arm and a leg.

At Home Depot you can pick up a stickof what is called "Aquamend." Aquamend is a white putty that is basically the same thing as the 20 dollar sticks. Aquamen costs 4 bucks a tube.

At Micheal's, you can pick up a Metal and Jewelry Cyanoacrylate Gel for 3.99/20g in the adhesive section.

Basically what you do is take your frag out of the water, and clip the peg off with some bone cutters, or angled pliers so that you have a flat surface to glue on.

Get a small amount of putty premixed for this frag. The putty is easier to mix together if you dip it in your tank first, it also helps it not stick to your fingers as much.

Take a towel and bottom of the plug/disc so that the glue will stick to it... Apply a small amount of glue on the disc and blow on it to spread it flat against the bottom.

Now, with your putty ready, smash the ball of putty about halfway into the bottom of the frag plug. I usually pinch the tip of the putty after placing it on the disc to create a "nipple" of putty I can press into the live rock. Taking your finger, press a small flat on the end of the "nipple" so that you can apply more glue. Squirt a little ball of super glue onto the" putty-nipple flat" and blow the glue down again. Basically what you have now is a super glue and puttyburger, the super glue is the bread and the frag plug is your plate!(I'm such a moron)

Anyways, now it is time to mount...

I hope you have already decided where and how you want to mount your frag because time is ticking! One you introduce that epoxy to the water it will create a skin as it hardens.

Press your "fragburger" into the place you want it to be, keeping a finger or two on the plug, pressed it into the rock, use the other hand or another free finger to kinda spread the putty into the rock.... smoothing it down like a hill from the plug to the rock.... Be sure to seal most of it, but leave a small notch unpressed. The reason you want to leave the gap, is if in the future you want to remove the coral.. you need a play to pry it off(thanks myzislow).

You can mount a coral directly to your back glass if you wanted to.

A few extra tips:

-Take a stainless steel brush, and brush off the area about 10 minutes prior to mounting. Use a baster to blow crap out of the area also.

-liquid super glue can also be used. You will need a small cap or tray to pour the liquid in to dip with. Pour glue, dip bottom of disc in glue... blow on it or dip it in SW really fast... apply putty and then dip putty side in glue... done!

I

inactive

View Badges
Oh, and if you are trying to stick rocks together, or weld the rocks already set up here's what you do.

-Apply the same glue/putty/glue method listed about.

-Create short "snakes" or putty and glue only one side.

-Press that side into the crevice where the two rocks you want to stick meet.

-Using a little bit of fingerprint and pressure, smooth the putty into the crack like it's caulking compound.

-Bing!!!

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the glue+putty+glue procedure. everything else is just pure frustration.

the only way i have been able to make a reliable bond between larger rocks is to drill both spots to be connected, pack with epoxy putty, and join with a rod in both holes. i use carbon fiber rods from the hobby store. makes for more surface area and acts like rebar. too often the bond failed on one side by just sticking them together. also, i'd try to leave the rock out to cure before attempting to move it. you can mist the rock to keep it moist. if epoxy putty is disturbed before it has cured, you will almost certainly lose a good percentage of contact with your rock.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't care for any of the epoxies, just never had much luck with them holding. When trying to bond rock I prefer to drill and use a rod. The bottom portion of a plastic coat hanger works like a charm.

MiscDrilledandPeggedRock2Oct09.jpg

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD is carrying Aquamend again. Nice. They got rid of it for a while. I was buying an epoxy stick from Ace on Northland that was safe for potable water. So that's a backup if you can't find Aquamend. (it is NOT with their other glues epoxies though - it is back in their plumbing repair section)

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquamend isn't too bad of stuff and a lot of people prefer it. I've never had any success glueing it underwater though. You'll have much more success working with dry surfaces.

Jeremy

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquamend isn't too bad of stuff and a lot of people prefer it. I've never had any success glueing it underwater though. You'll have much more success working with dry surfaces.

Jeremy

It does work best if you let it set up a bit before putting it in the tank - and even then you have to hold it for a while. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work best if you let it set up a bit before putting it in the tank - and even then you have to hold it for a while. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

I'll have to give that a try next time. Thanks Mike.

I'm lucky enough to have a completely dry tank for my aquascaping so I plan to use some fiberglass rods to create the structure, some aquamend to reinforce and create stability, and then some GE silicone 1 for areas that just need attaching but won't be bearing an weight.

Jeremy

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back