How to color waterweld epoxy putty purple or gray

BradR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of the bright white jb waterweld epoxy putty holding frags to rock. I’d like to remove the frags and reattach them as the white is kind of unsightly. Is there any way to change the white epoxy to gray or red/purple so it blends in better? Would rather mix in something inert and not pay 5x as much for aquarium epoxy putty

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of the bright white jb waterweld epoxy putty holding frags to rock. I’d like to remove the frags and reattach them as the white is kind of unsightly. Is there any way to change the white epoxy to gray or red/purple so it blends in better? Would rather mix in something inert and not pay 5x as much for aquarium epoxy putty

It will turn the same colour as the rocks if you give it a few weeks.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know of anything to color it with, but maybe smash some sand into it before it cures? Or use less so it doesn't show as much?

OP
OP
BradR

BradR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be darned. I guess there is epoxy resin pigment that can be added. Thanks!!

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aves Apoxie Sculpt is a two-part material that comes in any color you can imagine basically. I’ve been using it for many years to mount Frags, or to build shelves in my reef. if you use it to Mount Frags, use a good amount of superglue as well which will help it hold onto the rock until it cures. It is totally reef safe in my experience, and there is a lot of it in my tank. Some of it has been in there for more than 10 or 12 years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back