Any recommendations on a Reef Putty or Epoxy for placing frags?

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give a description on how exactly your using the superglue? We might have some tips to solve your problems. Aside from that I've seen alot of reefers use JB waterweld from home depot. But they still use super glue. Super glue on rock.. Epoxy on top ..more super glue on top of epoxy and then frag or coral on top of the superglue.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above how are you using the superglue. It is widely used. There is also a new product you can search on called SeaTak. I've only used it once so far but it was pretty simple. I also use Ocean Wonders epoxy putty.

I don't really have a favorite because they all more or less work the same just different application uses such as the epoxy putty for larger rocks, etc.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone show me any brand of putty that will work? They are all reef safe? I have heard of the sandwich technique having success! I just need a good putty brand to do that with my reef glue.

So my technique is to either put a bunch of glue on the frag and stick it on the main rock, or attempt to glue it while in the tank. My problem is with both techniques often over time it falls off. It is like the glue will mold around the rock, but not stick. I've tried a few brands that everyone recommends so clearly its not the brand. When I try to glue in the tank it is also tough dealing with that film. I don't really have any problems getting coral frags to stick to frag plugs because I can do it outside of the tank. But getting a coral to stick directly to the rock work? Seems to be tough for me right now..

I think the sandwich technique will solve my problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any recommendations on a Reef Putty or Epoxy for placing frags directly on the rockwork?

I am having a hard time with super glue in or out of the tank trying to get frags to stick to the main rockwork.
My go-to almost two decades:

1685376318599.png

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone show me any brand of putty that will work? They are all reef safe? I have heard of the sandwich technique having success! I just need a good putty brand to do that with my reef glue.

So my technique is to either put a bunch of glue on the frag and stick it on the main rock, or attempt to glue it while in the tank. My problem is with both techniques often over time it falls off. It is like the glue will mold around the rock, but not stick. I've tried a few brands that everyone recommends so clearly its not the brand. When I try to glue in the tank it is also tough dealing with that film. I don't really have any problems getting coral frags to stick to frag plugs because I can do it outside of the tank. But getting a coral to stick directly to the rock work? Seems to be tough for me right now..

I think the sandwich technique will solve my problems.
From the answers you can pretty much see many reliable brands but as far as just superglue technique. Are you drying the coral or frag before you apply the superglue? That always helps for adhesion. Also there's a video on YouTube of Jake Adams showing a tutorial. Shows that by applying a bead of glue then dapping the glue with the tip of the bottle to break surface tension so it's not a perfect round bead but more choppy looking. Then when he places the frag in the tank he pushes it onto the rock holds it there a couple seconds then lifts the frag up and down several times making contact with the rock it makes the glue stick better and then when he finally presses it down he hold it in place for a few more seconds and it's locked in. It also helps to let the superglue thicken a bit or dry before applying so it drys faster in the water.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some instant ocean bond stick because it seems a lot cheaper. I think with that and some super glue I should be able to figure it out.

@To(meany)Tang yes I dry it off as much as possible. Maybe I need to do a bigger glob so it doesn't insta dry when exposed to water? good advice tho, ty.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two little fishies have a nice epoxy. Haven't personally used it but I know guys have and you can't even tell it's epoxy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_112106_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_112106_Chrome.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may avoid the Instant Ocean putty seeing the reviews on amazon. They are a little scary not to say it has not worked for others here. Same with NYOS reef cement - it has a 50% positive review.

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NYOS products are one of my favorites
hey, i wanting to get a little information on nyos epoxy if you do not mind. have you used it for aquascaping? i am starting a new build and have been looking at nyos due to price and also color (black) any feedback on the product if you have used it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back