Equipment list help for Red Sea Reefer 425 XL

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I an running a RSM130 for last 5 years and am looking to make a the jump to a bigger tank so I can have more fish/coral options. Would like to do mixed reef but for SPS happy to stick with easier corals if that means less work. I like movement of softies and into colors and textures more than any specific type of coral.
My other goals with the new tank are to minimize maintenance tasks, reduce under tank clutter, keep it simple and to keep noise and power consumption(heat) down.

Would love to get some feedback and input on my proposed list:
Tank: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL deluxe in White
Lighting: 2x AI Hydra 26's that come with the deluxe model with plan to add a 3rd down the road for SPS
Controller: Apex Controller w/leak detection kit
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 150 SSS
Return Pump: Apex Cor-20
Calk/alk: kalk stirrer w/ATO or dose 2-part (can't decide which route)
Flow: 2x Apex WAV
Rock: Marco dry rock w/ marinepure block in sump
Sand: TBD
Reactor: Avast spyglass running GFO/Carbon
Heater: 2x TBD but something not glass and reliable
Auto water changes: Apex DOS (plumped to basement) w/optical sensors for low NSW warning
ATO via Apex DOS or PMUP if I get get that to pump from basement

Thinking APEX COR and WAV over varios and mp40's to minimize cabinet clutter and keep things simple. No chiller planned as I've not needed on my current tank.

So what do you guys think of this setup? What do you like and what would you change?

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys think I will regret my lighting choice in the future?
Will adding a third AI 26 allow me to grow SPS down the road if I want?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your parts list. I think the light will be fine. I have a AI Prime HD and I like the color temperature it gives off, you can do the AB+ with it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice build!

I would hold off on the nutrient control for the first several months.

When i upgraded my 3 year tank, thought control nutrients from the beginning, wont start with the uglies. 3 months later, dinoflagellates because i bottomed out my nutrients.

Imo let the skimmer and feeding amounts be the nutrient control. Especially if starting from dry rock and sand. Then add things like the gfo as needed.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a nice build!

I would hold off on the nutrient control for the first several months.

When i upgraded my 3 year tank, thought control nutrients from the beginning, wont start with the uglies. 3 months later, dinoflagellates because i bottomed out my nutrients.

Imo let the skimmer and feeding amounts be the nutrient control. Especially if starting from dry rock and sand. Then add things like the gfo as needed.

Based on some algae outbreaks with old tank I was thinking nutrient control right off the bat but you make a great point of going a bit slow with implementing controls when testing shows they are needed. But I still want to have a plan in place.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecotech CoralLab AB+ its a lighting schedule that Ecotech found most conducive to sps growth.
Can ecotech lighting schedule be run on the AI 26's?
Also sounds like I should not be too worried about par output from my choice?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ecotech lighting schedule be run on the AI 26's?
Also sounds like I should not be too worried about par output from my choice?

Yes i run the ab+ mimic brs created on my ai lights.

Red and green on the ab+ are actually 4 i increased mine for my visual preference.
1ce9017415756bcdc9b320f130702f63.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^ You can also copy someone else's time schedule as well with the special effects, I have not figured out how to do that yet, when I go to MACNA this year I will try to get them to help me understand how it all works.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so with the lights I'm good with sticking with AI's that come with the deluxe reefer and could always add a third down the road if I went nuts with SPS.
Now onto the skimmer, I like the idea of DC pump on skimmer for heat/noise reduction and apex integration for one touch feed mode (do you guys turn down your skimmer to feed?).
Is the Reef Octopus Regal 150 SSS a good choice? Should I go with the same pick but external pump version so I get move contact time or even another model altogether?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a proven design skimmer, check out BRS videos on the standard skimmer with the AC pump tons of reviews with very happy customers. People are loving the VarioS pump, so I think you will be fine with that skimmer.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 77 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.7%
Back