Equipment recommendations for 8’ 240

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2021
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
1,620
Location
shreveport
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be picking up an 8’x2’x2’ 240 in a few weeks. I’m getting the tank/stand/canopy and a few other pieces of equipment. Looking for recommendations for return pumps/ flow pumps.

Right now I’m think of running 2 return pumps. Each in the 2000gph range.
For flow I’m thinking of two xf350 gyres and running the four jebao MLW pumps I have currently on the back wall.

Would like some feedback, thanks all!!
 
This is rather open ended. What do you want the tank to look like? Reef or FOWLR? Substrate or bare bottom? Are you going to use a Refugium?
Live rock or dry? I would always recommend using Kessil or Radion lights supplemented with Reefbrite or Orpheus bars. The plank auto feeder is amazing.
Good luck
 
Guess I should have been more specific.
Lighting have two options. 6 noop pro’s with 4 4’ quanta bars. Or 8-10 4’ quanta bars.
I have just about all the other equipment in regards to skimmer, uv, sump, filter at. Only things up in the air are for the return pumps and in tank flow.
Tank will be a mixed reef/sps heavy. Sand bottom. Refugium as well.
 
I recently set up an 84x30x25". I'm running a jebao DCP 15000 and am very happy with the amount of flow and it's pretty much silent. It's cheap enough I can afford to keep a spare on the shelf. I have 6 of the K7 pros over it.
EDIT : for flow I was running 6 mp40s till a dry side fell off and landed in the sump. Now I'm running 5 and a Jebao gyre. I'm barebottom tho and not much sps.
 
I'd second jebao pumps. Have a similar model on my 240g freshwater that has been running 5 years straight with no issues. (Granted, saltwater is a different beast for equipment, but you do not need to take out a second mortgage just to have return pumps).
 
I'd second jebao pumps. Have a similar model on my 240g freshwater that has been running 5 years straight with no issues. (Granted, saltwater is a different beast for equipment, but you do not need to take out a second mortgage just to have return pumps).
I do love jebao equipment! I have pumps that are years and years old from different tanks.
 
I'd second jebao pumps. Have a similar model on my 240g freshwater that has been running 5 years straight with no issues. (Granted, saltwater is a different beast for equipment, but you do not need to take out a second mortgage just to have return pumps).
I wonder if duel jebao 120 crossflows would be enough or go with the 180’s?
 
If youre on a budget, 2 jebao mdp 12000 or larger will do the job (I would pick the mdp 20000s personally due to manifolds)
Otherwise the vectras/rd5/varios will do great.
If you haven't decided on mechanical then a single or dual reefmat 1200 (i prefer dual) would be mandatory to me (particularly on high bioload syatems). No other filter roller i've used comes close to ease of use.
Last piece of equipment for a large build would be the hydros controller.
I would suggest a hydros launch + extra xp8 bars (unless theres functions on the x4/x10 that you have to have) those two will generally cover everything you may need.
 
I will be running one reefmat 1200. But thinking of adding a second. I have thought about diving into the hydros space but currently run an apex. May be transitioning slowly to the hydros ecosystem as the tank progresses?
 
I will be running one reefmat 1200. But thinking of adding a second. I have thought about diving into the hydros space but currently run an apex. May be transitioning slowly to the hydros ecosystem as the tank progresses?
Strongly recommended if you can make the switch financially. I run an apex on my larger 675 and hydros on my 470 and will be switching from apex next sale.
 
I do love that hydros is in Louisiana. Not to terribly far from where I’m located.
 
Yes display gallons. 120x36x36 acrylic and a 84x36x36 glass
That’s an impressive amount of water!!
I think I’m going to go with a pair of jebao cmp 180’s and a pair of the mdp 15000’s for the returns. To run the lifereef protein skimmer I’m thinking of using the DCT 6000 pump. The lifereef says it needs a minimum of a 1000gph for the Venturi.
 
Keep in mind that the pump for the skimmer likely should be considered at 1000gph factoring head pressure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new