Erics Clownfish Breeding Thread. Rods Onyx, GSM, Darwins, Snows, Clarkii

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a thread over at another site, but i thought i would start one here as well.

I started breeding Jan 2011 on a whim cause i was doing frags, and i got tired of them so i sold it all and bought some clowns. then one thing led to another and now i got 12 pairs with 5 laying. soon to be 13 pairs and 6 laying. i got a pair of laying tomatoes coming tomorrow.

My pairs, * denotes these are ones that are laying now for me.
Rods Onyx *
Darwins*
Clarkii*
Gold Stripe Maroon*
Black Saddleback
Occy F x Super snowflake M
Occy F x Super Snowflake M
Snowflake F x Super 'Smore M
Darwin F x Super black ice M *
Snowcasso F x Plat M
Fire or Red Saddle
Tricinctus
Chryspoterus or blue stripes.

the Ticinctus are in my Solana and they are of breeding size, but i love them so much i put them in my solana.

the rest are in my breeding system in my basement. i got 2 custom 48" tanks each divided into 4 chambers for my clowns. then i got a 20l divided and a regular 20t for a large pair.
i have a 75g for a sump. my recirc pump is a reeflo Barracuda, Skimmer is a SRO 5000xt, Coralife 18w UV, my lights are Current 48" Led strips over each 48" tank and i got the 24" over the other 2 tanks.
i am controlling the whole thing with a RKE keeps my temp at 84 and i keep the salinity at 20ppm. higher temps with lower salinity increases the amount of O2 in the water and boosts their metabolism and they can eat more and i feed mine 6x per day.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

9e5d0391.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

some pics of my pairs. my water pics are aweful

darwinf x super snow m
a77aca05.jpg

clarkii
87bf7255.jpg

fire clown
2585bd71.jpg

snowflake f x super 'smore m
IMG_0435.jpg

gsm
IMG_0097.jpg

video of my rods onyx laying

have fun. i will add some more info and pics later.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well we feel honored!! HA!

Thanks for sharing and I love this!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well we feel honored!! HA!

Thanks for sharing and I love this!

OP
OP
Ericm1205

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx the Last two comments. I do plan on selling the offspring when I get up to that.
But the Darwin female and super snow male have been laying increasingly large nests and I will be hatching them this Thursday night. I got 3 left from last batch due to my rots crashing. Last year I had never crashed my culture. But this year with their new roto foods I can't keep a bucket slice for more than a month.
I went and got new buckets this week in case I am doing a bad job at killing them with infected buckets.
Hopefully with this new pair laying and getting good babies I will have some interesting babies!

That and I will start collecting the rods onyx again. I gave them some time off to get better at laying.
My darwin pair is aweful at laying. Hehe the female can't get her ovipositor close to the pot to get the to stick. They eat more that are flying out of her then what are actually laid. Hehe. She is a new mommy and she will get better soon.
I got 3 pairs of snowflakes one pair is getting serious about thinking about laying. hehe the other 2 not so much.

Might raise a batch of clarkii soon. They been laying good. I have been ignoring them cause I am waiting for their nests to get bigger.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking up
That's a beautiful thing

I have been trying for a year and a halfto get my Darwin pai to lay and no such luck. When I move my system I am going to put them in a stand alone tank and crank that baby up to 87. If it don't work then I don't know what else to do to get them to start breeding.

OP
OP
Ericm1205

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns are getting busy, but some dont want to leave all the eggs alone! my onyx still remove all the eggs by the 6th day.

i got a new laying pair. i got a 7rd old occy that a friend gave me and i have her paired with a super snow that i got from Rudi and she laid for the fist time last week. they let the eggs alone for a few days and i noticed them turning grey so he did fertilize them, but removed them by the 5th day.

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns are getting busy, but some dont want to leave all the eggs alone! my onyx still remove all the eggs by the 6th day.

i got a new laying pair. i got a 7rd old occy that a friend gave me and i have her paired with a super snow that i got from Rudi and she laid for the fist time last week. they let the eggs alone for a few days and i noticed them turning grey so he did fertilize them, but removed them by the 5th day.
whos rudi??

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back