Erin O's 75G Build

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Katrina71, I'm working on reading through your Miracle build thread, and I've hit the part about QT (page 24). From what I gather, you don't QT? It looked like there were a few others that said they don't either. Can you walk me through this? I was under the impression that SW critters should always be QT'ed.
We don't. We were advised against it in the beginning. You will get arguments on both sides. I think a varied diet and smart stocking plays a big role as well.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't. We were advised against it in the beginning. You will get arguments on both sides. I think a varied diet and smart stocking plays a big role as well.
What is your opinion (and anyone else who would like to chime in) on not QTing critters that are going into a tank without a sump? Do you think it would matter if the tank was running a canister?

Right now, I have FW tanks, and I have never QT'd. In FW, I've always been told not to treat prophylactically, so I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around treating a fish for something they may not have.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion (and anyone else who would like to chime in) on not QTing critters that are going into a tank without a sump? Do you think it would matter if the tank was running a canister?

Right now, I have FW tanks, and I have never QT'd. In FW, I've always been told not to treat prophylactically, so I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around treating a fish for something they may not have.
I don't my lfs holds the fish for two weeks in seperate tank. To be honest if I bought from another system I would put it in with out qt.
I don't qt anything. Once you qt everything has to be qt.
I make my own food that I think is better than most frozen. I would be happy to share my recipe if you want it. It costs me about 35 to make and lasts me 4 months or more and thats two sw tanks. A 90 and 55

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't my lfs holds the fish for two weeks in seperate tank. To be honest if I bought from another system I would put it in with out qt.
I don't qt anything. Once you qt everything has to be qt.
I make my own food that I think is better than most frozen. I would be happy to share my recipe if you want it. It costs me about 35 to make and lasts me 4 months or more and thats two sw tanks. A 90 and 55
I'd definitely be interested in your recipe!

IMHO, having good biodiversity is a factor too.
Can you explain the biodiversity factor, please?

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would.its more expensive but the life makes up for it.
My lfs has a bunch of "live" rock in SW under they're frag tanks. They put dry rock in there to become "live" as room becomes available. I have been told, by one of the employees, that those tanks were started with live rock (I plan on asking the owner to verify). Would that do the trick? I've looked at TBS and for 75lbs of rock, it would be over $400 with shipping and everything. That's something I just can't swing right now.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a bunch of "live" rock in SW under they're frag tanks. They put dry rock in there to become "live" as room becomes available. I have been told, by one of the employees, that those tanks were started with live rock (I plan on asking the owner to verify). Would that do the trick? I've looked at TBS and for 75lbs of rock, it would be over $400 with shipping and everything. That's something I just can't swing right now.
That's understandable. I would buy the lfs rock.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 clams
Oysters 1/2 pt
Flounder used half
Shrimp $ used half
Fish eggs used 1/6 30 cube used 5 cubes
Squid
Try to use as much fresh as possible.
I also now add freeze dried plankton
One note I'll make is that I used cookie sheet with plastic wrap. It was hard to get the wrap off. I suggest wax paper on cookie sheet.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 clams
Oysters 1/2 pt
Flounder used half
Shrimp $ used half
Fish eggs used 1/6 30 cube used 5 cubes
Squid
Try to use as much fresh as possible.
I also now add freeze dried plankton
One note I'll make is that I used cookie sheet with plastic wrap. It was hard to get the wrap off. I suggest wax paper on cookie sheet.
Awesome, thanks! Maybe I'll get some of those silicone ice cube trays. I just looked and I can get Star Wars and Harry Potter trays! Lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks! Maybe I'll get some of those silicone ice cube trays. I just looked and I can get Star Wars and Harry Potter trays! Lol
I use a cookie sheet with wax paper. I let it freeze than cut into small cubes. Works well

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use mostly dry rock and jus buy 2-3 "live rock" from the lfs to help seed everything and start the coralline growth.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use mostly dry rock and jus buy 2-3 "live rock" from the lfs to help seed everything and start the coralline growth.
In my opinion the more lr you can start with the more it help your tank in the long run. This is one of those cases where nobody is wrong. I've seen tanks with dry rock and all lr have amazing tanks. It's just my opinion on the lr.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back