OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her we recommend to start with nerite, cerith, and nassirus (spelled wrong most likely) snails.

After they are doing fine add an emerald crab or two. When those are good a cleaner shrimp would be great. After that perhaps a blood red fire shrimp. Perhaps 6 months after that the more fancy ones.

Don't add peppermint shrimp or coral banded shrimp. Peps may disturb/munch your zoas and coral banded are too aggressive to other shrimp for me.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking at the "Choosing Cleanup Crew" sticky and those three were on my list of considerations. Although, I have a love/hate relationship with nerites. Those little jerks get out of my FW tanks all the time! I actually found one upstairs once! It sounds like the SW versions might be the same lol. Are the nassarius and cerith snails able to right themselves? Or will I have to help them out?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking at the "Choosing Cleanup Crew" sticky and those three were on my list of considerations. Although, I have a love/hate relationship with nerites. Those little ******** get out of my FW tanks all the time! I actually found one upstairs once! It sounds like the SW versions might be the same lol. Are the nassarius and cerith snails able to right themselves? Or will I have to help them out?
Yes. Both live under the sand and come out at night to feed.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They right themselves and my sw snails don't venture out like that. I find cerith work very very well eating all sorts of algae
Yes they do ans they help durn over the sand. A very useful snail. They are less likely to knock over frags as well

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite combo is Cerith snails and Trochus snails. Both can right themselves. Nerites are really only useful for green film algae and they do like to travel. I suppose I would use Nassarius snails if I ever had sand, but I would never use sand.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my daughter's 10g guppy tank this morning and started wondering... part of the reason I keep the guppies is to supply a live food source for my angels. Does anybody add mollies to their SW tanks for the same purpose? If so, do you use anything specific for the fry to hide in? Like an equivalent to hornwort in FW tanks?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my daughter's 10g guppy tank this morning and started wondering... part of the reason I keep the guppies is to supply a live food source for my angels. Does anybody add mollies to their SW tanks for the same purpose? If so, do you use anything specific for the fry to hide in? Like an equivalent to hornwort in FW tanks?
Yes they do. But most keep them in a sump or seperate tank. They are good algae grazers as well

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, the random things that pop into your head at 3 am and keep you from going back to sleep lol. So the random thing that woke me up was the order in which I should add fish and what can be QT'd together. I'm thinking that I can probably do the gobys together (will 2 be ok? Should I have more? Just one? I was thinking a yellow or blue spotted watchman and a yasha). Could I have a firefish, royal gramma, or fairy wrasse (not sure which yet) in the same QT? (probably a 10g) I know that I shouldn't add too many fish to the 75 at one time, and a 10g QT is kind of small. Also, should I add the flame angel last or the clowns? Or should I add them at the same time?

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel should be last.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but I know that both can be kind of pushy, so I wasn't sure if I should add them at the same time or the flame last. Do you have any thoughts on the QT question? How many can I QT in a 10g at once? Can I QT both gobys at the same time?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but I know that both can be kind of pushy, so I wasn't sure if I should add them at the same time or the flame last. Do you have any thoughts on the QT question? How many can I QT in a 10g at once? Can I QT both gobys at the same time?
One or two. But I don't qt so I'm not going to be much help in the qt department

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never QT'd my freshwater fish, but it seems like everyone thinks in a necessity for SW

Not everyone believes in QTing and it has sometimes become a contentious topic between reefers. Also, there are different methods in beliefs even within people who QT.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone believes in QTing and it has sometimes become a contentious topic between reefers. Also, there are different methods in beliefs even within people who QT.
Best statement ever.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never QT'd my freshwater fish, but it seems like everyone thinks in a necessity for SW
It’s like hob,canister,sump controversy, all are useful and have a place. Pros & cons to each method. Another potential controversy no nosand, shallow sand bed or a deep sand bed. We have to accept each works and has a place.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic question; can one of you Fluval FX5/6 users please take a picture of how your tubing attaches to the input or output connection and post the picture(s)? Why I am hoping to get a pic is a long story which I'll save for another day. Thank you in advance!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take some when I get home
Off topic question; can one of you Fluval FX5/6 users please take a picture of how your tubing attaches to the input or output connection and post the picture(s)? Why I am hoping to get a pic is a long story which I'll save for another day. Thank you in advance!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it will be possible, but I would like to try to get as many of my fish from people who have bred them as possible, as opposed to getting them from a pet store. I know that clowns have been bred by hobbyists, but I don't know about the other fish I want to get. I know that won't completely eliminate the possibility of parasites, but I'm hoping it will significantly lower the chances. Plus, I'd rather support the "little guy" if I can

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back