ESHOPPS Nano questions

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm brand new to skimmers and just put one of these on my IM 20. Have a few questions as the provided documentation leaves a little to be desired. The skimmer is installed in my second (middle) chamber in the back.

First, do I need to turn the skimmer off when I turn the pumps off for feeding?? Seems like it just overflows when the pumps get shut off.

Second, I set the bubbles to be in the middle of the tube in the cup last night (3 day old skimmer at this point). It looked like it was running fine. When I woke up the cup was full of nearly clear water and overflowing. Do I need to set it higher?

Once I get this thing set right am I going to have to keep futzing with it??

Thanks everyone!!

D

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shut the skimmer off when pumps are off. This will keep the skimmer from filling the cup with the increased water level.
It will take a week or so to “break in” the skimmer. Only make small adjustments and leave it be for a while to see what kind of skimmate you are getting. They can be pretty finicky.
I would adjust the bubbles so that they are between the bottom of the tube in the cup and the middle of the tube and leave it. Check every few hours to see if the level changes. If so, make needed adjustments. Keep in mind that the skimmer neck will need to build up a “film” for the skimmate to slide up with the bubbles into the cup. This would be the break in I mentioned.
If your nutrient levels are low it will not produce skimmate either. Mine drops down like that when I do water changes. After a day or so it’s right back to normal.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shut the skimmer off when pumps are off. This will keep the skimmer from filling the cup with the increased water level.
It will take a week or so to “break in” the skimmer. Only make small adjustments and leave it be for a while to see what kind of skimmate you are getting. They can be pretty finicky.
I would adjust the bubbles so that they are between the bottom of the tube in the cup and the middle of the tube and leave it. Check every few hours to see if the level changes. If so, make needed adjustments. Keep in mind that the skimmer neck will need to build up a “film” for the skimmate to slide up with the bubbles into the cup. This would be the break in I mentioned.
If your nutrient levels are low it will not produce skimmate either. Mine drops down like that when I do water changes. After a day or so it’s right back to normal.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input T_Bone. I appreciate it!

I had thought since the water level doesn't change in my skimmer chamber when the pumps are off it wouldn't effect it, but it goes bonkers. I put it on the same power strip as my pumps for when I shut them off. When I feed though I typically use the buttons on my wavemaker and return pump for feed mode as they turn back on after 10 minutes, which prevents me from forgetting. Now I have to use my power strip to shut down all 3.... and I'm going to forget to turn them back on from time to time. Guess I gotta suck it up, lol.

When I dump my skimmer cup I should probably not clean the film build up then?? As this will take a little bit to build up again??

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do anything but rinse the cup out. If the skimmate is thick then I usually just run it under water and wipe off with paper towel. I don’t scrub it. That’ll keep it slick and broke in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back