Eshopps X-160 skimmer help

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a new 90g reef tank ~3 months ago. We purchased the Eshopps sump and the X-160 skimmer new as well.

I am having problems with the skimmer that I hope is an easy fix. To get the skimmer working I have to keep moving/pinching the air hose until eventually the skimmer fills the unit tower with bubbles upwards .

After a day the bubbles get allot less towards the top (almost clear in the skimmer tower) and allot of bubbles exit the rear of the skimmer filling the sump and ends up in the display tank. I have to do this daily. Is there something I am missing to get this skimmer to not send the bubbles into the sump and remain in the skimmer towards the top. I have attached a picture of showing barely any bubbles reaching the top after a day of use. When it does work there is a solid amount of bubbles that eventually makes skimmate.

6673FEEA-0600-44DB-9683-34CC25674264.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works fine at that level initially after fiddling with it and then all of a sudden it stops working correctly. I will also say the pump makes a louder sound when not working properly. The water level height does not change.

I would think if water height were an issue it would never work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reset the skimmer again. Fiddled with it until had full bubbles going up to the collection cup and skimmate was being made. A day later the bubbles are are barely in the skimmer towards the skim cup. Bubbles are now entering the sump again.

this time I turned the skimmer off for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and it’s working normal. Nothing else touched.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for help. I do not think it’s working correctly. I turn on the skimmer and it works good. Full bubbles into the neck of the skimmer and skimmate forming. Then within a day the bubbles thin out going up the neck and bubbles enter the sump. Powering off the skimmer for 30 seconds and turning it back on gets it going again and have to repeat this every day.

I do not think this is how skimmers work. Do I need a new skimmer?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not adjusting the skimmer at all. Just a daily unplug and replug is needed to keep it working.
It seems something happens and it stops sucking air as much and the restart frees it up and starts pulling air again

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm…Sounds like a possible tuning issue. The large knob adjusted the water height inside the skimmer body. The small/air adjustment changes the bubble size. I have a few questions:

-What’s your sump water level?
-What’s your skimmer water level (marking on the water height indicator) adjusted to?
-What’s your air silencer adjusted to?
-What’s the organic load in the tank (how many fish, how much/often do you feed)?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-What’s your sump water level? 7 inches
-What’s your skimmer water level (marking on the water height indicator) adjusted to?
-What’s your air silencer adjusted to? Wide open. Tried closing as well. No difference
-What’s the organic load in the tank (how many fish, how much/often do you feed. Bio load is low. I feed once a day. And some times skip a day. No difference in the skimmer.

but it’s not like the skimmer won’t skim. When I turn it on you hear air being pulled Into skimmer and a full dense bubbles are in the skimmer neck and no bubbles leaving the skimmer., skimmate being made. Then after about 20 hours or so there are much less bubbles in the skimmer and bubbles all over the sump and less air noise being pulled in. I have to simply power off the skimmer and wait 15 seconds and turn it back on and it works again until the next day.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the skimmer is too big for your system at the moment. Not sure how many fish you have or if you’re using a fleece roller for filtration but that skimmer is rated for a 220g light bioload. I don’t think you’re ever going to get constant performance at this point.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it work when restarted? Sorry. Just trying to understand before I waste another 800 on a skimmer

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attaching a video. At first you can see there is not allot of bubbles in the skimmer. Then I turn it off for a few seconds and turn it back on and you can see the skimmer is now full of bubbles.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.MOV
    38.6 MB

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back