Established Copperband reclusive now

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey all, have had a copperband for 6 months now and had been eating no problems, but the other day he left the remaining food and has been reclusive for 3 days now (ignoring food) and staying relatively stationary. There hasn't been any additions to the tank except for inverts (urchin, snails) within the last few months and he's by far the boss in the tank.

Tank parameters had been changing (ALK spiked a months ago and CA deficiency that I've been slowly adjusting). No other fish seems to be affected. I don't see any visible signs of disease, just heavy breathing.

Any ideas? Thanks.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any tangs in the tank that may have started to reach sexual maturity? Many have the experience of having fish with tngs, esp acanthurus tangs cohabitating fine until one of them reaches sexual maturity and starts causing issues.

Do you spend a lot of time in front of the tank to observe possible chasing?

OP
OP
wsoldier

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No tangs... and no aggression towards it (very little in the tank in general). The tank is in front of me all day.

Stock list:
- pair of clowns
- royal gramma
- sixline
- Coral Beauty
- lawnmower blenny

Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heavy breathing is troubling. Could be flukes on the gills or some other parasite came in with the inverts like velvet, which can often attack the fish within the gills unseen.

A freshwater dip would confirm or eliminate flukes from the situation. Be mindful that all treatment can come with risks.

Do you have NFG powder on hand for treating bacterial infections. It works absolutely the best on CBBs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back