Establishing ATS (Rain2)

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rain2 ATS. While I am seeing some limited growth at 3-4 weeks, I am not seeing that the screen is growing enough algae to compete with the hair/turf algae in the display tank.

I have Marco rock. Tank is 8 months old. Patience? Does that rock leach phosphate for a while? I have 3 of 4 lights in the ats on 24/7. Too much?

Has anyone put the screen in the DT to establish growth, then transferred to the ats?

Patience?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you haven't already, remove the screen, sand it with rough (60-80 grit) sand paper, give it a rinse to remove sanding particles then re-install. This should help the algae establish a foothold. Run the light source 24 hrs until it starts growing, then tune down as desired.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you haven't already, remove the screen, sand it with rough (60-80 grit) sand paper, give it a rinse to remove sanding particles then re-install. This should help the algae establish a foothold. Run the light source 24 hrs until it starts growing, then tune down as desired.
Thanks. I’ll give this a try.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting a little growth on the screen, but the dt is doing way better at growing the algae. Per Santa Monica, I am running a single gem5 (of four) 18 hours a day.

Someone please tell me this will eventually pass. This mess is three days after I toothbrushed the rocks. Here is a short video.
GHA Mess

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back