GHA/Turf because of leaching rocks

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to the conclusion that I think my two year battle with what is either gha or turf algae is because of leaching phosphates from the rocks. When I started the tank I used brand new macro rock and I have heard that it can leach phosphates that lead to algae. I have no algae anywhere but the rocks and zero phosphates in the water column. If I were to take out these rocks and replace them with dry or wet live rock could this be a solution where the algae would not return?

IMG_6932.jpeg IMG_6933.jpeg IMG_6931.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your phosphate level? Mine stays around .2 but has been up to .48 with no algae issues.

OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reads zero but that is because it is all tied up in the algae.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to the conclusion that I think my two year battle with what is either gha or turf algae is because of leaching phosphates from the rocks. When I started the tank I used brand new macro rock and I have heard that it can leach phosphates that lead to algae. I have no algae anywhere but the rocks and zero phosphates in the water column. If I were to take out these rocks and replace them with dry or wet live rock could this be a solution where the algae would not return?

IMG_6932.jpeg IMG_6933.jpeg IMG_6931.jpeg
Algae has a great life if not eaten. Algae begets algae, so to speak. You may have exceeded the algal dominance limit (I've made that up, search coral to algae phase shift). Lob a few urchins in, see what happens, or take the rocks out, wash everything then add snails and urchins.

OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you recommend replacing the rock as a viable solution? I already have a pretty extensive CUC.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you recommend replacing the rock as a viable solution? I already have a pretty extensive CUC.
I think it looks cool as it is, depends what you want. Nowt wrong with the tank if you like it as it is. What are your aspirations?

OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like the scape anymore. I want to add a bunch of corals so I can have a mixed reef, but I’m trying to tackle this algae without harming any of the exsisting corals or fish.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing the rocks would be a temporary solution. I would suggest an algae turf scrubber to absorb the nutrients in a controlled area, growing a more efficient algae at a faster rate, thus starving out the algae in the rocks. Algae turf scrubbers fix phosphate bound rock, it can take a few weeks or a few months depending how bad it is.

You are correct the test kits give false readings.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like the scape anymore. I want to add a bunch of corals so I can have a mixed reef, but I’m trying to tackle this algae without harming any of the exsisting corals or fish.
I'd scrape the algae off (outside the tank) and stick new corals in prime light conditions, add more cuc. The evidence supplied by @VintageReefer does not add up, and is a wasteful counterproductive extravagance, imo (appears if I put "imo" in a reply, anything goes).

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd scrape the algae off (outside the tank) and stick new corals in prime light conditions, add more cuc. The evidence supplied by @VintageReefer does not add up, and is a wasteful counterproductive extravagance, imo (appears if I put "imo" in a reply, anything goes).

Oh here we go. Garf got up on the wrong side of the bed again. I see today he’s on his pedestal, theatrical and dramatic. I have before after photo proof, sorry you can’t accept it.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh here we go. Garf got up on the wrong side of the bed again. I see today he’s on his pedestal, theatrical and dramatic. I have before after photo proof, sorry you can’t accept it.
Indeed, a scrubber may produce allelopathic compounds that are indescriminate, I agree.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, a scrubber may produce allelopathic compounds that are indescriminate, I agree.
Never trust the opinion of a person who can’t use a spell check.

Why don’t you suggest that the op wait 17 days for the algae to blow away? It was a theory of yours on my tanks outbreak. Conveniently corresponding with when I fixed my scrubber. If it you feel it was a valid explanation for my hair algae disappearance, then surely it could help here also.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins work for some but not all. I personally don’t want a pincushion bulldozing through my tank

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t like the scape I’ve always had good luck with caribsea life rock. Looks mature out of the gate and resists GHA much more in my experience than Marco dry rock. Downside is you’re losing a lot of good bacteria.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order real ocean live rock. Remove the marco rock and add the real ocean live rock the same day. You will replace the bacteria you are removing in the old rock with a highly diverse microbiome. I had excellent results with Tampa Bay Saltwater. I did not do what I am suggesting that you do, but I have little doubt it will be successful. Real ocean live rock is the way, hitchhikers and all. Check my Tank Thread for details. Good luck.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain;

No idea you are on about, except your scrubber is doing little / nowt. Power to belief

So many opportunities to screw things up.

My scrubber is my only piece of equipment for nutrient control/export, and my only form of filtration aside from live rock and sand. I don’t do water changes. So actually the scrubber is doing pretty much…everything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back