Rocks Leaching Phosphates

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe my rocks are leaching phosphates. Tested last week while running Rowaphos and phosphates were 0.07. Tested yesterday after taking reactor off-line and phosphates were 0.67. Should I just replace the rock or continue with phosphate remover? I keep pulling the algae and it keeps coming back.

pro-PsRr3RCL.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing all the rock and sand from an established reef tank is a huge undertaking.

If you want phosphate lower, I'd just keep using the GFO.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s what it does just keep hitting the phosphate and things will level out then you will be able to keep your phosphate under control just go slow and don’t bottom out. I think it is upto 1 ppm a day

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing has reduced phosphates for me and my bottom is 2LF Reborn which being old coral skeletons are loaded with phosphates. I've used Lanthanum Chloride in the past to export the remnants although others are reporting that's showing up in ICP yet don't know because the dosing was filtered with a 5 micron filter/sock or to large to remove it. Not sure how that all works or if the ICP results are detrimental or not but Randy might be able to speak to that.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That’s a lot of algae.

Add a foxface with and hand-remove the large masses of algae.

You can lower phosphate, but it won’t have any impact on the algae. It will still grow unless you get herbivores that will eat it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a product with L chloride in it states so not lower phosphate more than 1 ppm a day
Don’t know what your thoughts are Randy you will know

I would never suggest someone lower phosphate by 1 ppm in a single day. I think that could be very stressful for corals.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never suggest someone lower phosphate by 1 ppm in a single day. I think that could be very stressful for corals.
Ok Randy just what it says on the bottle so don’t believe everything you read on theses products . Your suggestions per day

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Randy just what it says on the bottle so don’t believe everything you read on theses products . Your suggestions per day

IMO, it depends on how high phosphate is, but if phosphate was at 1 ppm, and one wanted it lower, I wouldn't lower it to 0.1 ppm in less than a couple of weeks.

There are tons of reports of problems with corals from too much phosphate lowering too fast.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it depends on how high phosphate is, but if phosphate was at 1 ppm, and one wanted it lower, I wouldn't lower it to 0.1 ppm in less than a couple of weeks.

There are tons of reports of problems with corals from too much phosphate lowering too fast.
Pico tanks often comment on maintaining parameters by just performing 50% periodic WC and considering they are using RODI constituted salt then wouldn't they be cutting their phosphate in half regardless of amount present? Fair to say 50% reduction is then viable anecdotally based on other's experience?

Not that I'd ever be doing a 50% WC but in an emergency would be good to know how far we can go although sometimes due to it being an emergency there are no other choices but risk it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico tanks often comment on maintaining parameters by just performing 50% periodic WC and considering they are using RODI constituted salt then wouldn't they be cutting their phosphate in half regardless of amount present? Fair to say 50% reduction is then viable anecdotally based on other's experience?

Not that I'd ever be doing a 50% WC but in an emergency would be good to know how far we can go although sometimes due to it being an emergency there are no other choices but risk it.

It will drop by half instantly, then typically rise quickly back to where it came from when rocks and sand desorb phosphate. IMO, that's different than driving it suddenly down and keeping it down, but also may not be ideal.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will drop by half instantly, then typically rise quickly back to where it came from when rocks and sand desorb phosphate. IMO, that's different than driving it suddenly down and keeping it down, but also may not be ideal.
I think I get it. Phosphates will be released from the rocks. Not totally schooled on exactly what happens but grasp that rock will absorb/release phosphates and seeing too much just means rocks at capacity to absorb but if available in water suddenly drops they release yet not exactly sure what then is equilibrium to the point rocks need to release anything.

Like I said. Not totally schooled and what I just said might not make any sense but how I've come to understand it. Can you post an article you've written to educate me more.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate didn’t rise to 1ppm overnight. There’s no reason to drop it that fast either.

Take your time with it.

GFO can be gradual since you shouldn’t use too much at once. It will reduce PO4 and more will be released from the rock work gradually.

Lanthanum should never be overdosed because too much lanthanum might hurt fish.

Water changes reduce phosphate gradually because rocks and sand start to desorb almost instantaneously. Water changes aren’t very cost effective nor efficient for PO4.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ats? If not i would get one immediately. That will help keep the algae from the dt but you still may get a little phos creep up. Then i just hit with ephos every few days and takes care of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I get it. Phosphates will be released from the rocks. Not totally schooled on exactly what happens but grasp that rock will absorb/release phosphates and seeing too much just means rocks at capacity to absorb but if available in water suddenly drops they release yet not exactly sure what then is equilibrium to the point rocks need to release anything.

Like I said. Not totally schooled and what I just said might not make any sense but how I've come to understand it. Can you post an article you've written to educate me more.

Calcium carbonate surfaces bind and temporarily hold an amount of phosphate that depends on the concentration remaining in the water. More int eh water means more binds and less in teh water means less binds.

In a sense, its like a big extra reservoir of water containing the phosphate, and it slows down the movement of the concentration when you either try to raise the levels, or lower them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back