Green turf algae won t go away

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 tanks with green turf algae that just won't go away. Both have refugiums, don't they function like an algae scrubber? I also have a good clean up crew including hermits, snails, conches and 1 tank has a diamond goby who just can't keep up. Phos is 0.06 in 1 tank and 0.08 in another. I clean the sand bed when doing water changes (2x a week for about 12 % total) as well as with a turkey baster. What am i missing here?
Not nearly as efficient as a turf scrubber

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you're doing all of this with HOB equipment, do you not have a sump? Your ATS options will be limited without a sump. I'd recommend looking at the HOG series scrubbers from Santa Monica Filtration if you're going that route.

I also have 2 tanks with green turf algae that just won't go away. Both have refugiums, don't they function like an algae scrubber? I also have a good clean up crew including hermits, snails, conches and 1 tank has a diamond goby who just can't keep up. Phos is 0.06 in 1 tank and 0.08 in another. I clean the sand bed when doing water changes (2x a week for about 12 % total) as well as with a turkey baster. What am i missing here?
An ATS is better than a small refugium (heck it's better than a large refugium in most cases) but an ATS doesn't give the same amount of pH control as a nice sized refugium, and it doesn't give you a place to grow Pods or Macroalgae to feed your fish. An ATS will generally outcompete your refugium for nutrients, so you're better off choosing one over the other...

If the goal is ONLY nutrient reduction and some pH boost, you're better off with an ATS

If the goal is Nutrient Reduction, pH boost, AND growing your own food, you're better off sticking with the Refugiums

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no doubt in the minority here but if you use vibrant or some similar to kill all the algae your just going to have a tank full of white rocks. I guess that's fine if that's the look you want. I don't mind a little alage here and there to add color. It's not like it's evil. Maybe get some coral growing on the rocks.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had same problem in the past in my FOWLR. Got rid of it by shutting the lights off and frequently vacuuming sand and removing turf algae. It hasn’t returned for years since. Took about 2 -3 months of no lights. May want to remove your anemone during the process.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably never get rid of that turf algae. I have been battling it for way longer than you. I have tried just about everything and NOTHING works. I have spoken to the real experts in this hobby and tried most of their suggestions. One of the problems is that the algae gets so deeply attached into the rock that there is no grip on it to remove it, you have to wait until it grows out and then tear it out in chunks which always leaves the “roots” and of course there is always the piece that is impossible to get to.
The algae also starts to outcompete the coral and smothers them. From all my experiences the water quality has very little to do with it, as I have had pristine water quality and very poor water quality.
I am planning on tearing the entire tank apart, get rid of all the rock and basically start from scratch.
It is a daunting task, one I am not looking forward to, as the display tank is 450 gallons and the sump is 200 gallons.
I wish you the best of luck. You are welcome to listen to whom ever but unless they have dealt with this problem they have no idea what you are going through.
I have not followed this forum for quite a while, but I am now interested to see what the outcome is.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have been fighting this algae for about a year now and I’m done with it
A healthy tank is going to have some algae. As long as it's not bothering corals, my advice is to embrace it and worry about other things ;)

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised no coralline algae. I would introduce some of that. Can get a small pebble kr frag plug or something from your lfs and just scrape it in your tanks flow. Corralline algae actually can help prevent other algae types from growing on it.

The thing about algae is that your water parameters look good because of the algae growing. It’s like a natural filter.

If there’s no corals, no harm in having it. It seems you have urchins that eat it. You might be losing fish food to the flow and filter and it’s making nutrients be high.

Need a way to export nutrients or algae will do that for you and grow

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy tank is going to have some algae. As long as it's not bothering corals, my advice is to embrace it and worry about other things ;)
This is not run of the mill algae, this is the nastiest stuff you could ever hope to have. I had it under control to an extent for a while and then it was in places I could not get to and of course it started to get out of control from there.
I am definitely not trying to hijack this thread, just adding some perspective on what the OP is dealing with.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll look into a scrubber is there anyway I could like add like a liquid remover like vibra

also have a strawberry conch
I used fluconazole to knock back gha. Did not eliminate, but got to where manual cleaning with a toothbrush helps.
You need to get something else growing on the rocks like coraline or bacteria. I have also started diy coral snow with bacteria to help seed bare spots.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not run of the mill algae, this is the nastiest stuff you could ever hope to have. I had it under control to an extent for a while and then it was in places I could not get to and of course it started to get out of control from there.
I am definitely not trying to hijack this thread, just adding some perspective on what the OP is dealing with.
Do you have a black spot foxface?

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our experience battling hair/turf algae is a many months commitment. I have written about our experience on this thread (post #3) with a video link of how bad our problem was:

Long story short-ish - scrub the rocks at least weekly with very stiff bristles brushes and stick to it. It is a battle, not a once or twice and done. If you can take the rocks out and scrub, that is awesome. We couldn’t - a 300g tank with a ton of rock work.

In retrospect I don’t know that the Brightwell products mentioned in the thread actually helped. Maybe they did make the algae easier to scrub off. Currently I am turned off to chemical fixes because of the unintended consequences. Everyone’s tanks are so different and what helped in one tank could kill livestock in another.

We still are scrubbing rocks but the patches of hair algae are greatly diminished, just a little patch here and there. We installed an algae scrubber unit from Santa Monica Filtration a couple of months in hopes that we are not tied to weekly/biweekly rock scrubbing.

reefedandconfused

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have been battling green turf algae for so long now and it will not go away all of my water levels are good but I don’t know if it is because of my lights I took the rocks out and washed them in the reef water that was in the tank already like 2weeks ago and it’s back already my phosphate is at 3 and nitrate at 10 should I try vibrant?
I used vibrant (follow direction) and it worked great but I also lost one fish and a two members of my CUC since I started using it. Not sure if it’s related to the vibrant or just natural causes. I scrubbed my rocks then started treating with vibrant and it worked quickly.

If you are worried about your fish and CUC I would recommend relocating them to a temporary setup for a couple weeks until the algae is gone. Then do a large volume water change and bring the fish and CUC back into the main tank. I would continue dosing every other week until you hit the 6 week mark.

I haven’t had green hair algae for about two months and I am now only doing small doses every other week. I plan on getting off of it soon.

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leading out here, I feel that the responses you've received here are decent, however they're just throwing things out without identifying the what or why.

Turf algae is one of the most difficult to get rid of. Why? Because there really aren't many herbivores that actually consume it. First off, have you confirmed it's turf algae? It's difficult to tell from your photos but it does look like it. Is it growing in mats and very short? Never gets long or flowing? If so, then that's the first step to confirm.

Next, I'd recommend controlling your input, meaning what is going into the tank to ensure you limit what it uses to grow. What kind of lights are you running? Ensuring you're not throwing too much red and green lights will reduce the spectrum needed for algae growth. While your .03 phos levels appear to be good, it's likely masked due to the uptake of the turf algae. What are you feeding and how frequently? If you're feeding pellets or flakes, that's step one, stop and go to thawed and drained frozen so to minimize as much phosphate input as possible.

Export for not having a sump makes is going to reduce options and be more difficult but it's possible to manage. What is your water change process like and where are you getting the source water? Ensuring it's from a reliable source, even a local fish store can have suspect water. If you're getting mixed saltwater from a shop, check new/fresh saltwater before putting it in to see if there's any issues there. Clean water is means no additional nutrients for the algae to consume. Also maybe up your water change frequency for a while to keep those nutrients really low.

Lastly, natural control. Largely the only inhabitant that will touch that stuff is true turbo snails, even though they don't do all that great, but the Pithos crab should be your go to. They readily eat the stuff, albeit slow, but they do consume it.

With control of input, light spectrum, food and water quality. Export, water changes. And inhabitants, Pithos crabs, you should be able to work on getting rid of it.

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your earlier posts, you're able to remove rocks to scrub them. You've done it it until you're tired of it. I suggest you do it again, but then soak those rocks in Hydrogen Peroxide, the normal 3% stuff from the drug store, for a minute or 2. Then rinse them off in some tank water before you put them back. The algae will weaken and discolor and eventually fall off and disappear. It may take a couple iterations and it will probably take a day or two before significant changes are noticed.

If you've got corals on the rocks, try to keep the H2O2 away from the coral, but the vast majority are unaffected. Maybe squirt the corals with a turkey baster while in the tank to get them to close up first before you remove the rock. There's a very long thread here about this technique that has been successful for a large number of reefers. Some will advocate dosing the whole tank, but that's much less effective, more dangerous to some animals, and it takes longer. Since you seem to be able to take the rocks out without too much difficulty, definitely try the removal/scrubbing/soaking approach. I think you'll be very happy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back