Suggest me an ATS (algae turf scrubber)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to add a refugium because I don’t want exposed light in my sump.

Can someone suggest me a decent algae turf scrubber for my 260 gallon tank? Ease of installation and harvest is a priority of mine.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud is taking it easy after some medical stuff. so I dont think he will be making any, any time soon. his has been on the top of my list for years.

I am in the market for one too. for a 200/275 w/ sump FOWLR
I am between the in sump icecaps unit.
and the Santa Monica surf 4X

I think both are way over priced. I have DIY them in the past. but looking for a cleaner build.
the surf kinda looks DIYed to my might try to make my own..IDK

I have a new water fall unit that would sit about the sump but kinda want something in the sump.
if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one from eBay. I found an inexpensive and well-made scrubber. He has outstanding reviews and is backed by eBay as a consistently great vendor.

IMG_8497.png

I’m VERY happy with the scrubber I got.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice man, I was looking at that one a while back. do let us know what you think of it.
I wanna see some install pics too. :D
It’s a hang on back. All you need is to pump water into the unit. The water flows out the bottom, and it comes with a sock that slides in perfectly to silence it.

It’s a perfect unit. I love it so much.

IMG_8501.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The sock prevents that.
However, he also sells side flow units. I actually ordered both the side flow and the hang on back, but I saw that the HOB fit my setup better so I returned the side flow with no issues.

He’s a fantastic vendor.

IMG_8504.jpeg
IMG_8506.jpeg

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud is taking it easy after some medical stuff. so I dont think he will be making any, any time soon. his has been on the top of my list for years.

I am in the market for one too. for a 200/275 w/ sump FOWLR
I am between the in sump icecaps unit.
and the Santa Monica surf 4X

I think both are way over priced. I have DIY them in the past. but looking for a cleaner build.
the surf kinda looks DIYed to my might try to make my own..IDK

I have a new water fall unit that would sit about the sump but kinda want something in the sump.
if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.
This is exactly where I am for same size systems. I was first looking at the Large IceCap Pro for $650 then after reading posts on here really looking at Santa Monica Surf4x. After talking to Santa Monica they recommended that I get first a HOG 3xx $445 and then down the road after the HOG is going strong add in a Surf4 $499 or 4x $559. I am really split now. I really don't like the idea of spending over $1k for ATS for 1 tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly where I am for same size systems. I was first looking at the Large IceCap Pro for $650 then after reading posts on here really looking at Santa Monica Surf4x. After talking to Santa Monica they recommended that I get first a HOG 3xx $445 and then down the road after the HOG is going strong add in a Surf4 $499 or 4x $559. I am really split now. I really don't like the idea of spending over $1k for ATS for 1 tank.

you mush of be talking to vintageReefer. he loves his SM Surf 4...
I really looked into it it. I think it just way over priced for a DIY finish.
I did love the fact it could float in my fuge. but the air pump noise turned me off. also I have heard mixed reviews. like everything in the hobby.

that is odd he suggested HOG over the surf.
I made an upflow years ago there cheap and easy to make you could always DIY one then add a surf later?
I bet you could DIY a surf to, even if you did not want to do the lighting he offers it.

I like the in sump standing of the icecap pro. only reason I am not using my Ebay one.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did give feedback on the surf, which I do like, but he also talked to SM directly and he would need a surf8, but his sump section isn’t deep enough. They then recommended a dual setup - hog and surf 4 I believe.

I am at my cabinet now, doors open, and there is the faintest of noises coming from the surf / air pump combo. If my skimmer was plugged in, it would easily be 4x the noise of this.

The thing with the surf that I think drives the price is the entire unit is built to be water sealed and submersible and last forever. The leds and lid are designed to stay cool, theres lens diffuser to spread the light, and the unit is sealed to protect everything. You can tell I don’t keep mine pristine lol, I don’t clean it. My last lid lasted 9+ years and worked same as day 1, but the power supply died from a storm.

The thickness of the algae grown is also a bit deceiving. You can’t really tell from a photo. I put my hand in until my fingers touched the bottom of the chamber and took a pic. The air bubbles come up from holes below, and are forced to go through the algae in order to escape.

It’s a good functional design and it’s built like a tank. And it is quiet if you get a decent air pump. As long as nothing is touching the air pump (cords, other power plugs, walls of cabinet, my pump is a very quiet hum and you can’t hear it if the cabinet doors are closed. You wouldn’t hear it over a skimmer either

To harvest I lift the lid, scoop out a handful like this, close the lid and I’m done. I just toss this in the trash every 10-14 days. Takes 5 seconds don’t even need to turn anything off

ADF44758-C4EE-4E7E-8C38-7EF8E30C6818.jpeg CA93E891-FF11-4E17-9989-E9B7F4F0E092.jpeg 11BD3A93-D602-4023-B0C3-39040346EE2B.jpeg 2A2F270D-AFC6-4B81-9E51-99A8E525377A.jpeg D8349E5B-C214-437A-BD41-B52602DC57BD.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did give feedback on the surf, which I do like, but he also talked to SM directly and he would need a surf8, but his sump section isn’t deep enough. They then recommended a dual setup - hog and surf 4 I believe.

I am at my cabinet now, doors open, and there is the faintest of noises coming from the surf / air pump combo. If my skimmer was plugged in, it would easily be 4x the noise of this.

The thing with the surf that I think drives the price is the entire unit is built to be water sealed and submersible and last forever. The leds and lid are designed to stay cool, theres lens diffuser to spread the light, and the unit is sealed to protect everything. You can tell I don’t keep mine pristine lol, I don’t clean it. My last lid lasted 9+ years and worked same as day 1, but the power supply died from a storm.

The thickness of the algae grown is also a bit deceiving. You can’t really tell from a photo. I put my hand in until my fingers touched the bottom of the chamber and took a pic. The air bubbles come up from holes below, and are forced to go through the algae in order to escape.

It’s a good functional design and it’s built like a tank. And it is quiet if you get a decent air pump. As long as nothing is touching the air pump (cords, other power plugs, walls of cabinet, my pump is a very quiet hum and you can’t hear it if the cabinet doors are closed. You wouldn’t hear it over a skimmer either

To harvest I lift the lid, scoop out a handful like this, close the lid and I’m done. I just toss this in the trash every 10-14 days. Takes 5 seconds don’t even need to turn anything off

ADF44758-C4EE-4E7E-8C38-7EF8E30C6818.jpeg CA93E891-FF11-4E17-9989-E9B7F4F0E092.jpeg 11BD3A93-D602-4023-B0C3-39040346EE2B.jpeg 2A2F270D-AFC6-4B81-9E51-99A8E525377A.jpeg D8349E5B-C214-437A-BD41-B52602DC57BD.jpeg
Yeah I watch a vid on YT of him epoxy coating the lid . takes time and $$
so you think the are on the surf in the same as a waterfall scrubber?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back