Estimating Volume During Water Changes

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for you guys. Wondering if anyone may have a simple solution that I'm overlooking.

I use a Python No Spill siphon system for water changes and to occasionally siphon out detritus. The tank is 150G display with a 40G sump, with a net system volume of 170G.

It's always tough to match up the volume of water I remove during a water change with the volume I put back in. Normally, I just make sure I'm making more water than I'm taking out.

But I'm curious: is there a better way to estimate the total volume taken out? Normally I could fill up brute with the discarded water to measure, but the Python connects to the sink and down the drain.

Measuring out the tank height for rough estimate? Figuring out the flow rate on the Python?

Just curious if anyone has done the math. Cheers!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

I have a 40 gallon trash can on wheels. I marked the top of my aquarium water with everything off. Did the calculation of volume in how many inches lower it needs to be to get 4 inches out and marked the side of the aquarium with market. Pulls out 40 gallons every time. If you have rock work and such really high in the aquarium you will have to make adjustments for that volume displacement.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are draining the water into a container with known calculations, there is not a better way. Since you are going into the sink, you will need t calculate based on the water drop of your tank itself. for every inch you drain down, you will remove X gallons. you need to do this with your return pump off. If you continue your return pump use during this process, you will need to do this process on the return section of your sump as that is where the water level will fluctuate. Personally, I drain into buckets and stop at the first line. then make replacement water to that mark

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for you guys. Wondering if anyone may have a simple solution that I'm overlooking.

I use a Python No Spill siphon system for water changes and to occasionally siphon out detritus. The tank is 150G display with a 40G sump, with a net system volume of 170G.

It's always tough to match up the volume of water I remove during a water change with the volume I put back in. Normally, I just make sure I'm making more water than I'm taking out.

But I'm curious: is there a better way to estimate the total volume taken out? Normally I could fill up brute with the discarded water to measure, but the Python connects to the sink and down the drain.

Measuring out the tank height for rough estimate? Figuring out the flow rate on the Python?

Just curious if anyone has done the math. Cheers!

I have the same problem/ question. I've not figured out a solution since as you know the water goes down the drain using python.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off your return pump. Siphon some water out of your tank with a hose into a brute trash can. When the can is full mark that spot on your tank. Now pump the water back into your tank.

In the future when you do water changes you can siphon to that line every time, it will be 1 trash can full

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn off your return pump. Siphon some water out of your tank with a hose into a brute trash can. When the can is full mark that spot on your tank. Now pump the water back into your tank.

In the future when you do water changes you can siphon to that line every time, it will be 1 trash can full

Dang was about to suggest this! LOL! Just make sure you're water is at the same starting point every time!

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah you know your stuff. Hopefully with an ATO the water level shouldn't change. I'm still learning stuff like this every day. Cycling my first tank right now

Back