Esv 2 part cal dropping faster then alk

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple of months things have been pretty stable in my tank until i had to add fluconazole for a bryopsis problem. I dont test cal daily like i do with alk but i find strange that by dosing in equal amounts cal just drops from 440 to 375 while alk stays fairly stable? I thought this wasnt possible. Any idea how is this possible? Ive been having to add calcium carbonate aswell on top of the esv just to keep it from dropping that much, should i just increase the dose of cal by 1ml a day more then alk?

Screenshot_20201022-200645_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20201022-200652_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20201022-200700_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20201022-200706_AquaticLog.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing more Ca+ compared to Alk for over two years in my tank, it is ok to have to dose more than one vs the other, as long as the tank is happy I never worried about it (for reference I am dosing about 10% more Ca vs Alk per day).

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing more Ca+ compared to Alk for over two years in my tank, it is ok to have to dose more than one vs the other, as long as the tank is happy I never worried about it (for reference I am dosing about 10% more Ca vs Alk per day).
Ok good to see im not the only one lol i was always told that corals simply cant use one more then the other by a factor of 1 alk per 7 cal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main way that this occurs is folks thinking they are dosing equal amounts simply by equal dosing pump times, but the volumes are not actually equal.

Second way is water changes with water not matching the tank.

Third way is addition of alk you do not know about, such as when dosing nitrate or phosphate, or using tap water for top off.

Finally. test error is very common.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to see im not the only one lol i was always told that corals simply cant use one more then the other by a factor of 1 alk per 7 cal.

Corals MUST use 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm calcium. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Real imbalances come from reasons unrelated to corals.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main way that this occurs is folks thinking they are dosing equal amounts simply by equal dosing pump times, but the volumes are not actually equal.

Second way is water changes with water not matching the tank.

Third way is addition of alk you do not know about, such as when dosing nitrate or phosphate, or using tap water for top off.

Finally. test error is very common.
Ahhh yes i forgot that consumption of nitrates and phosphates slightly increases the alk. Perhaps thats the issue then, so i should add just a tiny bit more alk to cover that slight imbalance right? Being that my nitrates and phosphates are constantly dropping after going fallow that must be the culprit since i havent done a water change in months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes i forgot that consumption of nitrates and phosphates slightly increases the alk. Perhaps thats the issue then, so i should add just a tiny bit more alk to cover that slight imbalance right? Being that my nitrates and phosphates are constantly dropping after going fallow that must be the culprit since i havent done a water change in months.

That makes sense, yes, and yes, just dose more calcium part. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back