Ethics with breeding P. steenei-

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Pseudochromis steenei that breed on a very consistent basis and 9 out of 10 times they care for the eggs full term and I am left with thousands of larvae to feed to the sump. I was wanting to raise a batch up for a winter project. The more I think about it I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do. Say I manage to be even mildly successful and raise a small percentage of the larvae to juveniles. What to do then, I'm not looking to sell them (I could, but not the goal for this endeavor). Even with giving them away I would think only a few people here and there would want them and I wouldn't have the space and time to care for several hundred P. steenei. What should I do here? I'd love to raise some but if I can't get rid of them I would have to euthanize. Somehow that doesn't seem right for me to do it vs letting "mother nature" run it's course. Please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all congratulations on your spawning pair! That is considered difficult to do sometimes with aggressive species. It's up to you if you want to embark into the world of marine fish breeding. I will say it is tedious and you have to dedicate time, particularly to culturing phyto and rotifers/Artemia. It is quite rewarding when you do raise yourself. I currently have 4 neon gobies I raised out of hundreds lost, and they are considered beginner fish!lol And unsuccessful with Midas Blenny larvae. (Hasn't been done). Not to discourage, whatever you decide, for whatever reason, it will keep you entertained!lol This is how I started, read this book;
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447869278.681246.jpg

It even has mention and specifics on your species;
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447869391.107724.jpg

Good luck!

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several hundred might be getting ahead of yourself. I'm not say its not possible but if its something you've never attempted before theres a bit of a learning curve. I would say go for it if you're interested! Start with your first hatch and see how many you can get to survive meta. If you have a high survival then only raise a couple batches. If the survival numbers are low it may be ok then to just raise hatch after hatch without ending up with too many.

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the Wittenrich book, thanks for the recommendation though. I have considerable experience raising phyto, rotifers, and artemia. I bred (but didn't raise) Ptereleotris zebra back around '98-99. Bred and raised Ostorhinchus cyanosoma around '01-02 and then in '06-07 was successful with Cassiopea sp. during that time I also dabbled with Amphiprion sp. I'm not trying to say that this endeavor will be a homerun for me but if it is I am more concerned what to do with the resulting offspring than anything.

I do link the idea of going slow and just trying one batch to start with so as not to overwhelm myself or the market.

thanks guys!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the Wittenrich book, thanks for the recommendation though. I have considerable experience raising phyto, rotifers, and artemia. I bred (but didn't raise) Ptereleotris zebra back around '98-99. Bred and raised Ostorhinchus cyanosoma around '01-02 and then in '06-07 was successful with Cassiopea sp. during that time I also dabbled with Amphiprion sp. I'm not trying to say that this endeavor will be a homerun for me but if it is I am more concerned what to do with the resulting offspring than anything.

I do link the idea of going slow and just trying one batch to start with so as not to overwhelm myself or the market.

thanks guys!

I say you, pull out your sieves and buckets and go for it! I would pay store price for one or a pair of them, they are nice! I'm sure a lot of hobbyist would too. Now don't expect to get your cost and efforts from a wholesaler, it never happens. I inquired about neon gobies and I think they offered 3-5$/ fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back