Eunicid worm- one of the detritivores, right?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worm 1.png
Worm 2.png

I've had these in my tank for over a year now, but this is the biggest I've seen one get. It was about five inches long before my first attempt to remove it. I forgot how fragile worms are and snipped about the last third of it off with my tweezers. Had to catch it with a turkey baster.
I know most eunicids are scavengers/detritivores, and tend to stay small. Is this one of them? Haven't had any signs of any of these chewing on my corals. Just thought I'd check on here and make sure no one has had one that looks just like this get big, eat their corals, steal their identity and commit tax fraud, any of that stuff.
The back end of it wasn't as scrunched before. That's the damaged half. I assume an instinctive response to the damage- hopefully not a pain response. It escaped my first capture attempt by squiggling wildly and managing to get behind a rock, but came squiggling back out a minute later. I think my trimma goby tried to eat it.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the genus, they can grow fairly large and even kill fish. I’d trash it, personally. My coral banded shrimp loved worms.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like an identity thieving tax fraudster ;Hilarious I wouldn’t leave one that long in my tank, toss it out!

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But aren't some species purely scavengers? I know there was a video going around awhile ago, of a 5-foot-plus eunicid worm that had been pulled out of a tank with no clue it was in there. No corals or fish being eaten at all.

Anyone know how to tell which kind this is? I hate to kill it if it's not going to hurt anything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be a dorvillidae which would be a detrious and uneaten food scavenger.
I would move to sump or eliminate from tank

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aren't dorvillidae really small? This guy was five inches before I snipped him accidentally. I thought the dors were all under an inch long.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you use "bristle worm" to mean any of the polychates with bristles, no, it's not. Even the common pink bristleworms get bigger than this if fed enough, and many polychates regularly get much, much longer.

If by "bristle worm" you mean the common pink kind, this is not one of those.

Back