Euphillya and other corals not opening up after moving to new tank

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently just finished cycling my new tank and decided to move some of my corals over from my old tank. However, since I moved the corals (been around a week to 10 days), they have not opened. Instead some of them stay closed such as the euphillya which has shrunk. I should also mention that I recently bought a new light as well and initially started with high intensity but after learning about light acclimation, i have turned the intensity down as well as the photo period.

THANKS

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently just finished cycling my new tank and decided to move some of my corals over from my old tank. However, since I moved the corals (been around a week to 10 days), they have not opened. Instead some of them stay closed such as the euphillya which has shrunk. I should also mention that I recently bought a new light as well and initially started with high intensity but after learning about light acclimation, i have turned the intensity down as well as the photo period.

THANKS
Welcome to R2R!
When moving a system from one tank to the other with corals, moving the rocks fron the old tank and a significant amount of the old water will help. Pics of the new setup might help too. Did you start with dry or live rock?

OP
OP
C

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
When moving a system from one tank to the other with corals, moving the rocks fron the old tank and a significant amount of the old water will help. Pics of the new setup might help too. Did you start with dry or live rock?
HI I started with live rock and Ive already cycled it for 5 weeks. Tested everything as well.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI I started with live rock and Ive already cycled it for 5 weeks. Tested everything as well.
What did you test and what were the numbers? Usually it’s best to either transfer everything from an established system over to a new tank or wait to get corals until the tank is “matured” or stabilized for a couple months at least. A lot of things change in a new system and corals don’t like change. Is there a reason you don’t want to move the rock from the old aquarium to the new one with the corals?

OP
OP
C

chrissohk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you test and what were the numbers? Usually it’s best to either transfer everything from an established system over to a new tank or wait to get corals until the tank is “matured” or stabilized for a couple months at least. A lot of things change in a new system and corals don’t like change. Is there a reason you don’t want to move the rock from the old aquarium to the new one with the corals?

My old tank was a lot smaller so there wasnt enough rock. I transfered the corals after 5 weeks. I should also mention that there is a lot of hair algae built up around my coral. Although this wasnt a big problem before, it has gotten worse around one of them.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the hair algae will get worse, and continue to irritate the corals in the process. Sometimes bad enough to start killing off coral growth. You haven't said what you moved over to the new tank as far as corals go.

IMHO dumping a bunch of anti-algae chemicals in the tank is going to most likely have a negative impact on your tanks progress. It just takes time and attention and learning what each tank needs, and unfortunately you're rushing that process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back