Coral Frag not opening

astrobuckeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my first tank, 75 gallon bowfront. Started with live rock and used bottled bac. Used RODI water.

I ordered 3 coral frags from Koral Kingdoms. 2 are open and seem pretty ok in terms of color. But the third is GSP and is just totally shut after 48 hours in tank. But it is still colored not white or grey. I'm not sure if there is a point that I should call it and remove it or let it decay. I don't want it ruining the water and killing the other frags.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to be patient here. If it still has the purple color in its base just worry about the parameters and let it have its time to adjust. I had a gsp that was closed for weeks and it just recently reopened, very resilient coral. As long as you are taking care of other husbandry, I dont think this frag slowly melting would ruin your water enough to kill your other frags.

Best of luck.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the third is GSP and is just totally shut after 48 hours in tank. But it is still colored not white or grey.
I think it is impossible to kill GSP. It can become irritated and close up for time. Also sand can irritate it, so it should be off the sand.

Heads up, when established it can become invasive so it is best if it is on its own rock or back wall.

1708749614929.jpeg

It will grow over other corals.

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ve had GSPs that have taken weeks to open. If they’re intact and don’t seem to be dying (probably near impossible for these guys!) just keep the algae off them and wait for them to come out!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back