Green Star Polyp Won’t Open

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just got my green star polyp for my 5 gallon reef tank. I had a turbo Frits and stability mix to the tank two weeks ago to make sure everything is all right and cycled it for these two weeks. My salinity is 1.026. The other test look great. I’m a little worried because I’ve never had corals before I used a pipette to add coral food on top but still they won’t open. What should I do . It’s been in the tank for about an hour.

image.jpg image.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP may just sulk for days when entering a new system.
Ensure your nitrate is running stable at 5-15ppm and phosphate 0.05-.15ppm and they will show themselves.

Without those two things, will slowly starve.

They may also quickly retract with changes in light.

Give it a week.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, give it some more time to start. Corals won’t open immediately in a new system. How old is the tank by the way?

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg, those fish look dead! You should be more concerned about them than about the gsp
I KNOW, I just posted the GSP and then I added the fish after 2 hours of acclimation and they seemed perfectly fine. 30 minutes later I come back to this. The water has been tested and everything seemed fine

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4979.jpeg

Sorry new thing , I acclimated the clown fish for two hours, using a drip hose, but now they are laying at the bottom of the tank?! is this normal
that tank is not old enough for fish or coral. it looks like it was just set up. how old is the tank? It is not normal for fish to lay like that and they do look like they passed away. Very sad, you need to have patience in this hobby

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your tank either still has really high ammonia levels or something terribly wrong is going on. I would personally take a sample of the water from your tank to your LFS and have them test it. ASAP. Nothing should be going into the tank until you do that.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are having a learning experience. I know you are new. You have got to understand more about what you are doing. A 5 gallon is too small for a pair of clowns. Your tank looks way too new. You have no flow except for the tiny return pump. The light looks sketchy as well.

Saying your parameters are fine, and posting actual results are way different. You need to post actual results.

This is a set back. Learn from it, be more patient.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is very very wrong for two clownfish to almost instantly die like that. You say your parameters are fine, can you post what you have tested? Also what is the water temperature?

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I don’t think this is in the cards for me. I don’t think I am gonna continue on. I’ve tried multiple times with this tank and my funds are dwindling. Maybe I can salvage the coral. I was inspired by the 5 gallon nano tanks that people set up on YouTube but they made it seem very easy. I followed their steps exactly and still it’s a catastrophe. I really don’t know what to do.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I don’t think this is in the cards for me. I don’t think I am gonna continue on. I’ve tried multiple times with this tank and my funds are dwindling. Maybe I can salvage the coral. I was inspired by the 5 gallon nano tanks that people set up on YouTube but they made it seem very easy. I followed their steps exactly and still it’s a catastrophe. I really don’t know what to do.
Funds can be an issue. Let the tank run empty. Can't hurt anything. It WILL mature. Let it run for a while and investigate how you should proceed. Going slow is best anyway. After a while get a snail or a hermit crab or something so you have some life in it.

I do think you will need more flow. Look at small wave makers, but there is no rush. Let your funds build back up and wait...

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Any tips on what to do with the coral?
Just let it be. Intervention rarely helps in my experience. Drop a little food in the tank every other day. It might make it, it might not. That is part of this hobby. Sometimes stuff dies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back