Euphyllia acting weird?

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently had a dino outbreak, which I'm almost done battling, judging from the dino growth the last few days. My tank is fairly recent, but was seeded with mature live rock, picked straight out an established tank.

I'm having a few issues after the outbreak, such as Zoas not fully opening and my Rhodactis is looking a little off, but I'm most curious about the Euphyllia. It's been retracted and has lost a few of its polyps. Admittedly I did have a filefish that took a few bites out of some polyps, he's since been rehomed.

The Euphyllia has been closed up for almost a week now however, this morning it looks like this. When I got it, it had 2 heads, now I'm seeing 4 mouths? Did it start to split somewhere during / after the dino outbreak and did the added stress cause it to close up further? I've been dosing some Aquaforest coral food (Vitality, Energy Amino mix, Build) as well as All for Reef, hoping to provide the corals with the extra nutrients they need after going through the dinos and cleaning process.

436363110_831058908890508_5024959198737499920_n.jpg

Parameters
Temp 25C
Salinity 1025
dKH 8.9
Phosphate 0.15
Nitrate 10
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1290

Any advice on how to make it pull through?

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral did split heads, you have 4 heads now. What kind of coral is it? I cant tell, I thought it was a duncan at first glance.
How did you "battle" dinos. We dont know what you did so cant see how much stress you caused corals.

Parameters look alright if you have been keeping it stable. If there is only one change to make, I think LPS corals really like having more Mg. Could increase it to at least 1350, and see if they respond well. I personally keep high Mg "1450"

OP
OP
B

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Euphyllia glabrescens toxic green. This is what it looked like before the dino last month. I'll retest Mg, those parameters are from this weekend and I did dose a little.

1716215398345.png

With regards to the dinos, I've added a GMK and dosed 5 days of H2O2 (1ml/10G). With daily manual removal and siphoning / cleaning of the sand bed. I've also added some additional CUC, 5 snails, 2 small hermits and a conch. I think I caught it pretty early and it wasn't too bad overall, but I did have some on the Euphyllia and together with the filefish nipping at it, made it close up completely. That said, the filefish nipped the Rhodactis as well, which is stressed too. The BTA & SPS appear to be doing great tho. Basically the softies took a hit and the Euphyllia looks the worst.

EDIT: I forgot, I also added MicroBacter7.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated water parameters:
Temp 25C (-)
Salinity 1025 (-)
dKH 8.2 (↓)
Phosphate 0.09 (↓)
Nitrate 10 (-)
Calcium 380 (↓)
Magnesium 1230(↓)

So most values have gone down a little, except nitrate, since this weekend. I guess I'll have to up my All for Reef dosing a little. However I don't think this would impact the Euphyllia that much?

I think if anything, it shows a normal intake and consumption of the resources in the water column.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all,

I recently had a dino outbreak, which I'm almost done battling, judging from the dino growth the last few days. My tank is fairly recent, but was seeded with mature live rock, picked straight out an established tank.

I'm having a few issues after the outbreak, such as Zoas not fully opening and my Rhodactis is looking a little off, but I'm most curious about the Euphyllia. It's been retracted and has lost a few of its polyps. Admittedly I did have a filefish that took a few bites out of some polyps, he's since been rehomed.

The Euphyllia has been closed up for almost a week now however, this morning it looks like this. When I got it, it had 2 heads, now I'm seeing 4 mouths? Did it start to split somewhere during / after the dino outbreak and did the added stress cause it to close up further? I've been dosing some Aquaforest coral food (Vitality, Energy Amino mix, Build) as well as All for Reef, hoping to provide the corals with the extra nutrients they need after going through the dinos and cleaning process.

436363110_831058908890508_5024959198737499920_n.jpg

Parameters
Temp 25C
Salinity 1025
dKH 8.9
Phosphate 0.15
Nitrate 10
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1290

Any advice on how to make it pull through?
First thing I noticed is mag. In my personal tank I notice my euphyllia and montipora being the main indicators that something may be off with my magnesium. I personally keep my mag at 1550 and notice issues (corals losing color or no polyp extension) around 1300.

OP
OP
B

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, my Montipora appears to be doing fine. :)

I've bought a mg supplement and I've upped the All for Reef dosage. I think the daily dosage was a little too low and I'm dosing magnesium separately to close the gap.

I think I may swap over to a 2 or 3 part dosing routine once I've emptied this bottle of All for Reef (in 3-4 months). All for Reef is super convenient but can't tweak those individual values very much and if I have to get a separate bottle to dose MG anyway, ... I'm practically doing 2 part. :p

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back