Euphyllia has lost head

caritchie08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a first post I thought I would throw out a crazy thing that happened and see if people respond and offer opinions……

2 week old Torch from a LRS popped off today. The torch was a cut that was 1 week out when I bought it and it was with good flesh spilling over the calcified structure. Having lost a Joker torch to brown jelly within 2 days of placement in my first tank and have had PTSD ever since. So when the torches I have now in my new setup retract or look different I start to worry. This new torch looked great and was extended and flowing well, then i get hope and the head is gone….
192C65AD-DF97-4B2B-B4CB-EB5E53251089.jpeg

This discovery is followed by selected but muttered four letter words so my 4 daughters do hear me. Looking around in the tank I find 3 residual chunks of the torch head with polyps and color in tack. I carefully grabbed them up placed them in a QT box that is a hang on.
08E08C0B-B6E9-4A95-B66B-769ED5666C51.jpeg
I have zero expectations of this being anything other than a soon to be dead junk of tissue, but has anyone had success with this issue? There is no brown jelly, the 3 pieces look like anemone polys and in the box they pieces have extended a-little…any suggestions?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I saw someone on here kept one in an acclimation box for a while. From what I remember it never re-grew a calcified structure

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me in my frag tank. Only to find out I had lps flat worms later on. Had to dip to get rid of them.

OP
OP
C

caritchie08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me in my frag tank. Only to find out I had lps flat worms later on. Had to dip to get rid of them.
Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look at the pieces and the skeleton to see if there are any crawlers.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy on reddit seems to think they can come back and even posted a picture of one that supposedly re-grew a base

Might be worth seeing what happens!

OP
OP
C

caritchie08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1
The three parts are still in the QT spot and huddled/flowed into a corner.
50DF1D28-65D6-4696-8162-2D3EFA680C49.jpeg

Seem to be the same color as yesterday and will retract when I spot feed them…..likely optimistic but thought I would update.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all about those four letter words in this hobby! I’ve had a couple of torches do the same and find them as you did but always left them in the sand or wherever the e landed to only disappear soon. I’m interested to see how this plays out.

OP
OP
C

caritchie08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all about those four letter words in this hobby! I’ve had a couple of torches do the same and find them as you did but always left them in the sand or wherever the e landed to only disappear soon. I’m interested to see how this plays out.
I feel like some days I am inspired by the events of this hobby to create new ones. It must have just happened before i got home. It is at least an interesting experiment with low expectations for a positive outcome.

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seems like you are experiencing polyp bailout. They normally never grown new skeleton base. At least, never heard of it happening.

This happens when the corals are not happy about water params, water flow, lighting, etc..

OP
OP
C

caritchie08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the skeleton to the QT and the three pieces migrated towards it and under it, but perhaps related directly to flow. Not sure, but the three pieces look the same.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If conditions are good, they should regrow skeleton. I actually regularly have heads drop off of large lps colonies that regrow skeletons because they have run out of room to split.

alann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would inspect it closely for flatworms, if you see any then dip it, brush with toothbrush, and rinse and repeat 4 days to a week afterwards. Sometimes it's the eggs and whatnot that'll stay. Seems like it's at least still alive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back