Euphyllias fine for a few weeks, then suddenly melt within a few hours.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see evidence of BJD. There would be very noticeable brown jelly substance at the top of the coral head and the coral would be dead in 24 to 48 hours. Another source is the cause of the issue here.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night the euphyllia was extremely retracted, I could barely see any flesh it all had gone deep into the skeleton, so based on that the flesh has not detatched from the base and I cannot see any discoloration yet... I am going to try and find some of these antibiotics I do have some amoxiccilin at home, but I do not think I will be able to buy the Ciprofloxacin though.. Would you dip it now? Or should I wait in case things get worse?
I would dip in hydrogen peroxide mix first, 30-40ml per gal of tank water. Do this for about 10min. Then you can dip in amox if that's all you have, it's an antibacterial and should have some effect.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that I run the pumps at 100% for one hour during night time to remove any debris, so I am now wondering if I damaged it, since It stayed quit extended during the nights. I also just tested how it sways at 100% and it is really vigorous, at the same time, the most damaged part of the coral is where the flow hits it.

1675350421161.jpg

That might be it. One hour is long time to blast something in my opinion. I do a 5 minute 100 flow a night to stir things up, but not an hour. That might be the issue.

My guess if there is Brown Jelly it's coming on cause it's stressed and is a side affect of what the real issue is. Which may be your nightly 100% run.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back