Euro bracing for an Oceanic 210

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently purchased an Oceanic 210 as a project. The silicone was gone so I have the tank torn down to rebuild. I have cleaned all the silicone off and polished all the glass to remove all scratches. All the sides are 1/2” the bottom is 3/4” and the top center brace is 1/2” x 18”. Can I remove the plastic trim and center brace and replace it with 1/2” x 3” euro bracing on all 4 sides plus 2- 1/2” x 6” cross braces running front to back? I just want it to look better and be more accessible. Yes I know it’s a project but I only spent $75 for the tank with a stand and hood!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having never built a tank this big, take my opinions as just that, opinions!

I have made 5 tanks and 2 sumps with 3/8" glass. The biggest were 65g (4'x2'x14") and 40g (2'x2'x20"). And I did have a eurobraced 120g (5'x2'x20") from Cadlight. So, IMHO I think the euro brace is probably enough, but with 2 glass cross braces you should be better than when the tank was new.

Good luck, that's a big rebuild project. Have you ever siliconed a tank together from scratch before?

OP
OP
M

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have built Acrylic tanks and plywood tanks but never a full glass tank. I know a guy that works for Elos Aquariums and ordered the silicone from them just so I know it’s good stuff. Peace of mind.

OP
OP
M

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have built Acrylic tanks and plywood tanks but never a full glass tank. I know a guy that works for Elos Aquariums and ordered the silicone from them just so I know it’s good stuff. Peace of mind.

OP
OP
M

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator shows 3/8” glass. I “assume having 1/2” and using 1/2” for the bracing would be ok. How trusted is this tool?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back