Euro bracing on a rimmed aquarium

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing up a 150, it's rimmed but the previous owner used some metal bars for bracing looked horrible. I want to euro brace it, can I do it with the rim on or does that have to go. is it safe to take the rim off?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to take the rim off the tank. unless you're going to have euro braces all the way around the tank and across the middle and the braces should be slightly thicker than the panes on the tank. I also feel like it should be one piece and chamfered to fit the side panels, kind of locking in place when you put the brace on top of the tank. The dimensions on the 150 and pressure that is put on the panels is scary when you think about it. personally I wouldn't remove the rim off a tank any bigger than a 40 gallon, that's just my opinion..... but i'm terrified over a tank busting open in my house!

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to take the rim off the tank. unless you're going to have euro braces all the way around the tank and across the middle and the braces should be slightly thicker than the panes on the tank. I also feel like it should be one piece and chamfered to fit the side panels, kind of locking in place when you put the brace on top of the tank. The dimensions on the 150 and pressure that is put on the panels is scary when you think about it. personally I wouldn't remove the rim off a tank any bigger than a 40 gallon, that's just my opinion..... but i'm terrified over a tank busting open in my house!
Yeah but here's the thing... can I do euro bracing under the trim?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but here's the thing... can I do euro bracing under the trim?
Im thinking you can, but you would have to notch the trim to fit the bracing in there. because you would want to brace it on the top of the tank, not the inside..... if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking you can, but you would have to notch the trim to fit the bracing in there. because you would want to brace it on the top of the tank, not the inside..... if that makes sense.
No I get exactly what you mean and it's what I was worried about..... I'll take a look but it's looking like standard bracing honestly, I'll try clear acrylic though

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back