Euthanize

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best method?
I have an Anthia that is blind, got cloudy eye in both eyes and looks to have torn the cornea of both.
Freeze seems it would take a awhile.
I was wondering if a dose of paracetamol would be quick? Basically overdose of painkiller?

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick hit behind the head will break/sever the spine on fish, its instant so no un-necessary suffering. Wrap it in a towel if you need.
Not sure on other methods.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil is my choice - you can usually find it at the drugstore for toothaches.

From Jay Hemdal's post in the fish euthanasia sticky in the disease forum:
"
Clove oil (eugenol)
One product that aquarists can buy that is approved by at least some veterinarians and research biologists is clove oil, also called eugenol. A dose of 50 mg/l is usually sufficient in euthanizing fish. This equates to about 0.20 ml of eugenol in one gallon of aquarium water.

Because eugenol does not mix well with water, and because larger volumes are easier for hobbyists to measure out, it can be dosed using the following method:

1) Add 2 ml of eugenol to 100 ml of tank water in a sealed container and shake it vigorously.

2) Add 10 ml of this suspended solution to each gallon of water needed to euthanize the fish.

3) Place the fish in this solution and keep it covered to prevent it from jumping out and to help keep it calm.

4) Wait at least twenty minutes after it stops breathing, and then remove the fish from the solution and freeze it for later disposal.
"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What's the best method?
I have an Anthia that is blind, got cloudy eye in both eyes and looks to have torn the cornea of both.
Freeze seems it would take a awhile.
I was wondering if a dose of paracetamol would be quick? Basically overdose of painkiller?
I generally place in a ziplock and place in freezer but Jay has great write up on methods:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back