• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's someone who did

with tap water, from a jetting sprayer. darn they were resolved to win.

we can check subsequent posts to see if total harm resulted.

above I thought you were meaning saltwater rinsing which is what the ocean does all the time :)

why not up the bar with a jetted tapwater rinse and no recycle just after though:

if you mean rinsing off uncured ocean rock, if anything its even more insulated against harm that that new but barely cycled rock above. it had no protective growths, it got blasted.

and the bac still remained, no recycle.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's someone who did

with tap water, from a jetting sprayer. darn they were resolved to win.

we can check subsequent posts to see if total harm resulted.

above I thought you were meaning saltwater rinsing which is what the ocean does all the time :)

why not up the bar with a jetted tapwater rinse and no recycle just after though:
Brandon I though this would get you going man:)
Last month out of total frustration in battling nuisance algae. I decided to do exactly that.
I took a cpl rocks out. Scrubbed with plastic kitchen brush. Brought rock in bathroom and blasted it with high pressure nozzle we use to bath moose.
Didn't take long maybe 5-15 seconds depending on size of rock but I also got it thoroughly. High blast and made sure I got in the crevices.
You wouldn't believe the nastiness that came out of my rock. Some being 18-25 years growth when it was plucked from ocean. Kinda freaked me out and figured I was setting myself up for full system crash honestly.
Exact opposite man. Coraline is now starting to grow where the nasties where.
I strongly feel that is exactly what my rock needed at the time.

On top of that ive been battling super high Nitrates since I overdosed my system last year. Haven't been able to get them lower than a true 20ppm reading.
Today I'm hitting a true 10ppm. Finally man.

Would I reccomend this to anyone using fake rock? No. I have 100lbs of walt smith fiji i didnt touch because I didn't have to so I def wouldn't smash fake un established rock.

Forgot to mention I brought faucet water to temp before I blasted my rock:)
20210418_081907.jpg
20210418_081900.jpg
20210418_081855.jpg
20210418_081831.jpg
20210418_081803.jpg
20210418_081754.jpg
20210418_081749.jpg
20210418_081738.jpg
20210418_081727.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey nice post and very very nice detail.

I truly believe you're on the cutting edge of reef dentistry not a joke.

you just removed our equivalent of plaques that harbor harmful bacteria/excesses and you just opened up pore structure by removing deposits which specifically lower surface area exposure to wastewater, you bought your rocks about twenty or at least ten more years of brand new but still preserved life and filtration ability.

its specifically in the removing and backflushing...today's hidden secrets for bacteria control in a reef tank.
this above is manual eutrophication reversal. its free, not dosed.

and bacteria ride through it all just fine, even better on your aged coralline rocks. savory

its not in the dosers, the purchases, bacteria will self regulate in our tanks if we eject all the clogging waste either in tank design or by manual force at times, a reef storm.

darn nice post man.
b

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like actual ocean rock shipped in water straight from the ocean? I would not, especially with tap water. I'd fear losing all the sponges and other cool stuff I paid extra for.

Dry rock that has been overrun with nuisance algae in the tank? Then yes, that could absolutely be a viable option.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look flippin brand new above nicely done. yet still retentive of all the pigments, anti-dinos growths, plenty of pods rode that out.

and some worms which migrate back down into the sandbed.

what didn't fare well was the aging, compacted detritus. our tanks don't have the real ocean currents that reject that over time as well as your forced hammer time just did.

I made your post first example in our elimination of Old Tank Syndrome thread. it is the chief action along with sandbed rip cleans that can give any captive reef tank and indefinite unlimited biological lifespan.

the reef will last as long as your hardware luck permits, it has no biological age now. its now a baby again but with adult capabilities, its Benjamin button for reef tanks however you want to frame it.

using saltwater for that jetting breaks nobody's rules if that much salt can be had. that being said, even a jetting with low salt freshwater is still pretty harmless given the contact time.

they dip clownfish far harsher than these brief but furious rinses.

LRT you're on the cutting edge of reef tank preservation, a trip to the dentist is complete. that reef mouth is ready to tank on more goodies, however long it goes before another trip needed ranges tank to tank.

*am not saying anyone has to do this at all to be successful.

but am saying you are less algae prone now

less cyano prone

stronger biofiltration, free, dosing nothing you increased bacterial presentation to wastewater

you live rock animals can breathe and express waste better, it makes up for not being in the real ocean.

these rocks are now skip cycle rocks, you can literally move, relocate, upgrade and downgrade and in this clean condition they can not cause a recycle.

what you've done is good, really good. now let em take on ideal growths again and it'll all just circle right back towards loss of surface area over time. those surfaces are more prepped to take on sps growth than any reef surface you could own or develop. this is the secret to indefinite reef tank lifespan for anyone. it is not the required way, its just a way that works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like actual ocean rock shipped in water straight from the ocean? I would not, especially with tap water. I'd fear losing all the sponges and other cool stuff I paid extra for.

Dry rock that has been overrun with nuisance algae in the tank? Then yes, that could absolutely be a viable option.
Nah bro I'm talking about real live gulf rock that was plucked somewhere around 18-25 years growth from the ocean. Most sat in sump with a puffer pooping all over it for a year.

Im going to take this even further- further. The rocks I did last month had a cpl spots where the nuisance algae kept hold. Not many spots but I did it again.
Took them out. Scrubbed and blasted them over again yesterday:)

I'll do it again until its all gone I promise.

No re cycle. Not nothing just lower nutrients and system that generally overall looks happy. Judging by the response of some of my shrooms im on right track for sure.

Better pictures:)

I just hit most of these rocks yesterday lol today I have orange fluorescent sponges popping up and brand new coraline in spots i had nuisance algae growing:)
20210418_110413.jpg
20210418_110405.jpg
20210418_110358.jpg
20210418_110349.jpg
20210418_110340.jpg
20210418_110327.jpg
20210418_110314.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used tap water; it’s heavily treated by the city. I’ve used rodi though & didn’t have any bad results. Stuns pods, stars and bristleworms momentarily but they wake up if you put them back in saltwater.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even the holding tanks above are detritus free

what part of the west are you from, out near tombstone?
only roughshod roughhewn cowboys who can stare piercingly into the sun prep a set of live rocks to that degree.

rare these parts

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rocks looks great, can't argue with success.

Just curious, why not do it in a bucket of saltwater with something like a maxi jet powerhead. You'd get the same results without worry of losing more sensitive critters.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even the holding tanks above are detritus free

what part of the west are you from, out near tombstone?
only roughshod roughhewn cowboys who can stare piercingly into the sun prep a set of live rocks to that degree.

rare these parts
Hahaha dude I love u man. Gut instinct I guess. Too many successful accounts of deep sand bed rinses got me thinking why don't I just deep clean my rock same way. Have nothing else to lose besides the endless hours I've been scrubbing this rock the past few month but to no avail!
Its on man

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rocks looks great, can't argue with success.

Just curious, why not do it in a bucket of saltwater with something like a maxi jet powerhead. You'd get the same results without worry of losing more sensitive critters.
Trust me I tried that to. Something about the non salted chlorinated water the nuisance algae doesn't like:)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if theres a sliding scale between joking around/not joking around this activity above rests fully on one side.

and nobody says its going to cure algae forever. its simply a forced ground takeback pictured, however we want to slice it.

reefing is all about seeing if you can prevent this need again. if you can't nbd neither can I. some power washing is due soon if this reef here next to me is going to make twenty.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few more pictures:)
I'm going to track progress here.
I can already tell you judging by what I seen last month to this month some of this rock will be hit again.
Especially since its in a table I purposely left un cleaned until my ats is broken in and growing proper algae.
That being said I can't believe the color and new growth that popped up overnight.
20210418_113224.jpg
20210418_113124.jpg
20210418_113115.jpg
20210418_113105.jpg
20210418_112227.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used tap water; it’s heavily treated by the city. I’ve used rodi though & didn’t have any bad results. Stuns pods, stars and bristleworms momentarily but they wake up if you put them back in saltwater.
Hi Trigger I've done alot of work on our treatment plants. Engineers walk around there with gas masks no joke. I know whats in the water. You should see the dry beds full of needles and tampons you probably wouldn't bathe in the water again let alone think about drinking it.
Having said that I figured my tap couldn't possible be worse than the yr old burnt out di and ro filters I was making water with.
Fixed that. It was time to fix the rocks.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trigger I've done alot of work on our treatment plants. Engineers walk around there with gas masks no joke. I know whats in the water. You should see the dry beds full of needles and tampons you probably wouldn't bathe in the water again let alone think about drinking it.
Having said that I figured my tap couldn't possible be worse than the yr old burnt out di and ro filters I was making water with.
Fixed that. It was time to fix the rocks.
I can smell the water treatment plant in the summer and fall when I pass it on the highway, can’t imagine walking through it! It doesn’t smell a whole lot better than the landfill ;Stinkyfeet;Vomit

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can smell the water treatment plant in the summer and fall when I pass it on the highway, can’t imagine walking through it! It doesn’t smell a whole lot better than the landfill ;Stinkyfeet;Vomit
Landfill has nothing on a water treatment plant dry bed i promise you. Id rather camp at landfill then ever be in vicinity of dry bed again.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me totally crazy but its worth sharing since initial experiment has been 100% successful.
Did another round of scrubbing and cleaning on the 1st.
This time I had seneye set up and I scrubbed and cleaned every piece of rock in my tables.
No ammonia swing. Nothing to report besides another major explosion of coraline growth and Nitrate reduction.
In fact I can see where I scrubbed a little to hard and scrubbed a little coraline off the rocks.
Nothing crazy. Just matching bath water temp to reef temp. Thorough scrubbing rock. Giving it quick 5-15 maybe 30 second bath(depending on size of rock but rinsing entirely clean and clear) water rinse with high pressure nozzle and put back in water.
You can see all the inverts, shrooms, rfa also totally unaffected and you can also see where I wasn't able to get a good scrub around some of them. They handled the rinse well though.
I def have baby clams and oysters that have been hidden under some of the nastiness that are out filter feeding.
I've had a few bristle worms crawl out in the scrubbing and rinse process. I just scooped them out and placed in bucket that I use to carry rock to bath tub. Put the back on rock after I place back in system and all good.
20210501_101936.jpg
20210501_101942.jpg
20210501_101954.jpg
20210501_102000.jpg
20210501_102005.jpg
20210501_102019.jpg
20210501_102023.jpg
20210501_102046.jpg
20210501_102051.jpg
20210501_102055.jpg
20210501_102102.jpg
20210501_102107.jpg

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. How do you do that when you have every single piece of rock covered with corals?. Even with not so many corals, I do not see any viable way to dismount the whole rock structure and reorganize it while keeping the tank running.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever I take out of the sea, I throw in my tank the way it is. I will remove the crabs though. But thats just me. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back