Everything I needed to know about life, I learned from my Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up in a philosophical mode today, which, as you know, is often dangerous, as it means I'll either write about something insanely esoteric ("How the health of your Acropora efflorescens colony can affect your wife's clothes-buying decisions") or rather direct ("How to get superglue off of your fingers"), or downright devisive ("Why every other coral vendor besides Unique Corals is stupid and unprofessional...")... I mean, no one else in the reefing world writes about the kind of nonsense I do, huh? Weird.

Fortunately, I did get a decent night's sleep, and I'm sitting on my Yoga mat ready to proffer my two cents worth on your life as a reefer...

Cue relaxing New Age sitar music...

Today, Grasshopper, we're going to talk about how your reef experience can teach you about life.

EL-celebre-Kung-fu-de-David-Ca_54379807867_53389389549_600_396.jpg

"Time for your lesson, young Grasshopper..."

Ok, that sounds kind of insane, actually.

Yet when you think about it, a reef aquarium CAN teach you a lot about life. Those little pearls of wisdom that we acquire as we play with our reefs can have real impact on the rest of our life.

Let’s look at these “lessons†a bit closer, and if you don’t agree- then you can tell me that I’m crazy!

Lesson One - Stay Focused - When building and managing your reef aquarium, you’ll come to the realization that it’s hard to balance what you need to be doing with what you have the time, energy, and resources to actually do. Sure, you should be changing water every week, but you have that little distraction called life that may get in the way. And that’s okay. Your family and relationships are more important than your reef. Yup. I just said it. Don’t lose focus on what’s really important.

Focus on quality, not quantity in your reef management. Better to do a few things great than many things poorly. Seriously. Prioritize what needs attention more at certain times. Filtration? Algae scraping. Coral trimming? Things will ebb and flow and you can tackle every single one of your reefkeeping dreams and ambitions. You just don’t need to do them all at the same time!

Leonardos-Lagoon.jpg

"Leonardo's Lagoon" focused on quality...

Lesson Two- Practice Patience- I know that in my personal life, I’d hardly be given the moniker of “patientâ€, but in my reefkeeping work, it’s my mantra! It can take me months to go from having a tank in my home to having a tank in my home with plumbing, and months more to having a tank in my home with plumbing and water. Sure, like everyone else, I want a lush, colorful reef aquarium as quickly as possible. However, I found out the hard way through many years of aquarium keeping that the old cliche about not rushing things holds true. A reef aquarium is a biological system, and it follows eons-old natural patterns of function and process.

You can’t rush it. Oh, sure, you can “seed†your aquarium with biological material to speed up the cycling process, and you can grow your coral a bit faster with frequent water changes, feeding, and trace element replenishment...But it can only go so fast. Why not follow those good practices, but expect- and enjoy- a slower, more measured pace of growth in your reef? Patience is about understanding what steps it’s going to take to get you where you want to be, and measuring and evaluating your progress along the way. Editing is a beautiful thing (although, by the way I write, you'd never know that, huh?). Eventually, you’ll get there. And you’ll probably find the journey every bit as enjoyable as the destination. Trust me.

Lesson Three- Be an Authentic Reefer - Huh? What I’m getting at here is that you should love being who you are as a reefer! Sounds like “psychobabbleâ€, but it’s true! Your greatest reefkeeping successes will come when you practice being the type of hobbyist you are. Just because everyone is infatuated with Chalices and you love Fungia does not mean that you’re not a “cool†reefer. There are so many angles to this hobby it isn’t even funny. Love what you specialize in, and share what you know with fellow reefers.

If you have no interest- or worse yet- no clue- about carbon dosing, for example- then don’t get on the message boards and start preaching the gospel of biopellets to fellow reefers. What I call “regurgitationâ€- the act of ranting authoritatively about stuff you may have heard of but have not practiced- is really unhelpful to the rest of the reefkeeping world. It’s how “cooking†live rock started, for goodness sake! Be proud of your aquarium, your experience, and the type of reefer you are. Share selflessly, and play to your strengths. Push yourself, evolve, adapt, flow. But above all, be yourself.

Lesson Four- Count on Your “Peeps†- It’s crucial to have other reefers to turn to when things get tough. Sure, you can be a free thinking reefer, but don’t go it alone. You’re not an island. A bommie, maybe. But not an island. Err..nevermind. Reach out on the message boards and consult other hobbyists. Not only will you learn more and have a good time with your hobby- you might just end up making lifelong friends! Build relationships, and seek out friends, experts and "cheerleaders" when you need them. It’s a smarter, more effective way to succeed in the hobby. And, I must admit, it's kind of fun.

Join the local aquarium club, or start one if there isn’t one in your area. Hang out at your local fish store. It’s the literal “watering hole†for your local hobby experience. Not only will you be supporting a good cause (your local brick and mortar store), you’ll be making valuable reefkeeping connections that will provide great pleasure. Of course, you can join one of the many friendly reefkeeping communities on line, and connect with fellow reef geeks all over the planet. Cultivating friendships is a great little investment in your reef-and your life- that will pay huge dividends down the line.

dal_g_cowboys_cheerleaders_b1_576.jpg

Everyone needs a "cheerleader" (or a dozen of 'em) from time to time!

Lesson Five- Learn to Stop - Apparently, Im not alone: Many reefers just never learned how to say no gracefully! This is evidenced by the many 120 gallon aquariums containing every conceivable type of coral and invert known to the hobby! This is a real problem, as it can lead to an overcrowded, biologically mismatched reef population at best (do a Google search on “allelopathyâ€), and total disaster at the worst! For that matter, more than one domestic relationship has been impacted by what my pal Tony Vargas aptly calls "The Spouse Factor." The solution is to excercise restraint. Just say “NO†sometimes!

It works with developing an aquarium in your home, and it works with stocking the aquarium, too...You can always get another aquarium at some point (the whole “Multiple Tank Syndrome†experience) if you want to try keeping widely divergent animals together without bloodshed. You just don’t want to go down this path, adding every conceivable animal to your aquarium. If you’re so busy saying “yes†to all of the wrong animals, when are you going to have the space for the right ones when they come along?

Suijelkom_photo4.jpg

"Six Meter Peter" van Suijekom has a BIG tank, but he knew when to say when...

Lesson Six- Face Your Fears - Good heavens, get out of your comfort zone once in a while! I’m not saying to try to set up a 400 gallon NPS aquarium just to prove that you’re a ******...What I am saying is that you should try something different from the tried-and true sometime. Keep that slightly-less-than-super-hardy Wrasse if you have the hunch that you can do it. Great things can happen when you push through the fear. Put your experience, intuition, and observational powers to the test. You might be the first person to breed that weird little Cardinal Fish that you have a secret fetish about. You may be the one person that figured out how to keep that uber-delicate deepwater Acropora alive and thriving.

I’m not advising you to gamble with the life of a helpless animal in order to vanquish your fears. What I am suggesting is that you should play the occasional hunch and push yourself a bit. If it weren’t for the brave folks like ORA, we would probably just now be realizing a viable market for commercially-propagated coral. If someone like Matt Wittenrich didn’t take a chance trying to breed dozens of varieties of marine fish, we might be stuck with Clownfish as our only captive-bred marine fish option. When you feel you are capable - take a chance. The benefits to you- and to the hobby- might be incalculable.

DSC_0324.jpg

Breeding fish always involves leaving your comfort zone...next train is departing now!

Lesson Seven- Lighten Up! - You heard me! Have some fun! This hobby is not supposed to be a peer-pressure-ridden pressure cooker with impossible-to-meet challenges and goals. You aren’t required to have a perfect reef system that some self appointed “reef demigod†would approve of. You don’t need to be doing all of the same things that the guy in Holland with a 29,000 liter aquarium is doing. You don’t, and you probably can’t - so why sweat it? Jumping on the bandwagon just because "all of the kids are doing it" isn't really that cool, anyways. Trust me. Enjoy your aquarium, no matter what size, what type of animals you keep, and how it looks. Laugh at the fact that you get all worked up about little red bugs on your fuzzy sticks, or that you keep stinky frozen foods in your freezer, right next to the Haagen-Dazs. Take pride in the fact that you are one of a select group of people that keep some of nature’s most amazing creatures alive outside of their natural habitat. Not only alive- but thriving! Craziness.

When you screw up- and you will - accept the consequences with grace and humor. Laugh about it. Share the mistakes and foibles with fellow reef geeks. You’re probably not the only one who nuked his or her aquarium with phosphate remover, or placed a Galaxea two inches from your prized Sunset Montipora, or who used the wrong-sized tubing and flooded his/her carpet.. so smile...That which doesn’t kill our enthusiasm for the hobby makes us a better reefer. Perhaps less financially solvent- but better for the journey!

My hope here is that you realize that a reef aquarium is not just a pleasant diversion; a fun hobby- it can be a lifelong passion, a teaching tool for the entire family. And perhaps, most underrated of all - a reef aquarium can serve as a beautiful classroom for some of the larger mysteries of life. It sounds almost bizzare, but I believe it to be true when I say that everything I needed to know about life, I learned from my reef. Ok, almost everything. I still haven’t figured out exactly what makes women tick. And how to do those little Chinese finger puzzles, or how to flip pizza dough, or...

So, until next time. Stay focused. Lighten up.

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reader, first time poster :)

Scott I applaud your near daily musings about this hobby, and how to make people better aquarists! You have summed up being a hobbyists so wonderfully in this hobby.

This hobby has helped me along to a professional career in Data Center Facility Management. Specifically; focus, patience, and authenticity that I have developed through this hobby (among other places of course) have enabled me to consider greater challenges and strive for specific results. I certainly get some sideways looks when I mention how my "fish hobby" has helped me develop professionally. Sure, it all sounds a bit deep or reaching to some, but as conveyed in your article it can be the case.

Thanks for being authentic and philosophical in your writings!

Keep staying wet,
Phil

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Scott................ maybe it was the 'Title' or ??? But for whatever reason that no one has responded to this thread yet does not matter.......... cuz I liked it my friend and once again think you have an uncanny way of relating to this lifelong passion of a hobby that some of us have. It's definitely in my blood and in most every aspect of my life in the way I see and do things. I'm a passionate student of 32+ years now and teacher to those who will listen and openly share both my successes and failures. I too wish that more of us would 'do their own thing' and not feel seemingly obligated to 'follow the lamb in front of them' Anything or type of Reef done well in this hobby is a remarkable accomplishment and should be cherished by its creator and most of be respected by their peers. Rather it be an aquarium full of 'Ultra' or 'LE' Corals or the most common of the 'Softies' and Z's & P's when displayed in their optimal setting are incredibly beautiful pieces of Natures Art. This IMHO obviously excludes frag tanks disguised as Displays no matter how much money is sitting on all those oh so ugly frag plugs. I would love to see more 'Kudos' go to those who took their time and really did their due diligence to create a true masterpiece rather than those that get praised for their 'TOTM' that's a whopping 6-months old.

Cheers, Todd

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rant!! ;) My first time seeing someone actually mention my #1 pet peeve. "The Regurgitator"!
Love how you also touch on the importance of being authentic.
I stepped outside MY comfort zone!! Building my own 40B (drilled by me) and my own 20L sump (baffles siliconed in place by me) all plumbing done by me too! All by myself! I was scared and even went looking for help, ready to pay. But with the verbal support of my fellow forum reefers I chose to DIY! Lol. Not that it matters but....I'm a 54yr old grand ma! :)
I really like this write up!! Thank you!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving your feedback...I think there is a lot of validity to getting something out of life from your reef keeping experiences besides just enjoying a tank...Gald to hear this!

-Scott

brycntif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome post, total agreement, provoked self reflection and a feeling of "ok I'm not crazy" and a realization that this "hobby" has taught me more about myself than about reef keeping. Thank you Scott.

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very humble Scott well writen I feel a better reefer just for reading it thanks

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really happy to hear that my fellow reefers "get it", which confirms what I already knew: Beneath all of the goofiness, industry hype, etc., there's a lot of "soul" in this hobby. Awesome people, of whom I've met many, are super common in this hobby...and pretty much standard on this forum in particular!

-Scott

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott, another enjoyable read. I especially appreciate about being your own kind of unique aquarist. I started working at a LFS in '97 whose owner loved reefs and fish. I learned a lot and treasure the experienced. Things were done a little different then, namely LEDs and reactors became a mainstay of the hobby but you wouldn't believe how often I am rebuked for how I do things and the equipment I don't have. If one follows the laws of nature regarding biology and chemistry, there are more than one way to keep a thriving reef. Oops, now I am ranting, sorry.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott, another enjoyable read. I especially appreciate about being your own kind of unique aquarist. I started working at a LFS in '97 whose owner loved reefs and fish. I learned a lot and treasure the experienced. Things were done a little different then, namely LEDs and reactors became a mainstay of the hobby but you wouldn't believe how often I am rebuked for how I do things and the equipment I don't have. If one follows the laws of nature regarding biology and chemistry, there are more than one way to keep a thriving reef. Oops, now I am ranting, sorry.

Not a rant...and even if it was- it's totally permitted here! I love those who think a bit differently; particularly if it goes against the "conventional wisdom" and gets great results...It can be a lonely road, but worth the journey, as you have no doubt discovered! Thanks for the kind words!

-Scott

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back