Everything is closed how long to wait??

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got my water tested at the fish store, phosphates are at .33 and nitrates 50!
Through out the night I did about a 40% water change and I used a new salt (reef crystals). I’ve always used instant ocean salt mix I just switched last night to reef crystals. How long will it take for my guys to bounce back? Also I’m using api test kit it was saying I had no nitrates or phosphates but I took it to the store and obviously they were super high! Smh api. Guy told me to use (algae management no3:po4:-x from Red Sea, a nitrate and phosphate control) haven’t used it yet I wanted to do the water change first and check again before adding it. Is it good? Worth using? My coral are definitely stressed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say how long but get rid of the api test kit

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all of your parameters and how long have the corals been in your tank? One of the most important things is not to change parameters too quickly even if they're not ideal

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a few days, when you switch salts you have to take into account the difference in parameters the 2 salts have. Reef Crystals will have elevated cal, trace elements, mag vs IO sea salt. Its better to change salts in small increments so you don't shock your corals. Let your corals adjust first, then start to worry about your nitrates and phosphates. The best way to adjust nitrates and phosphates is to look at how much you are feeding the tank and thru water changes. Adjusting nitrates and phosphates thru chemical means is a last resort as they can have bad effects on the system.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all of your parameters and how long have the corals been in your tank? One of the most important things is not to change parameters too quickly even if they're not ideal.
What are all of your parameters and how long have the corals been in your tank? One of the most important things is not to change parameters too quickly even if they're not ideal
Taken about an hour ago. Can’t trust the phosphate and nitrate read tho now so not sure till I get a new kit

1458170A-7EC0-491D-B7FA-6C1C939D7ACB.jpeg

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a few days, when you switch salts you have to take into account the difference in parameters the 2 salts have. Reef Crystals will have elevated cal, trace elements, mag vs IO sea salt. Its better to change salts in small increments so you don't shock your corals. Let your corals adjust first, then start to worry about your nitrates and phosphates. The best way to adjust nitrates and phosphates is to look at how much you are feeding the tank and thru water changes. Adjusting nitrates and phosphates thru chemical means is a last resort as they can have bad effects on the system.
so I had done a lot of water changes and repeatedly have been checking on them and they never seemed to do better and I waited about 3 weeks. So I just went to the store yesterday and found out my tests haven’t been good but nothing ever seemed to improve with water changes and I’ve cut back on food too. So with this new salt I’ll give it a week or so to see for anything and I’ll have to get a new kit ASAP. Current parameters are..

2901C7FD-324B-49DE-AA29-65FAF4D31E59.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to look at is what is your salinity, how r you checking it, and if you are using a refractometer , has it been calibrated.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got my water tested at the fish store, phosphates are at .33 and nitrates 50!
Through out the night I did about a 40% water change and I used a new salt (reef crystals). I’ve always used instant ocean salt mix I just switched last night to reef crystals. How long will it take for my guys to bounce back? Also I’m using api test kit it was saying I had no nitrates or phosphates but I took it to the store and obviously they were super high! Smh api. Guy told me to use (algae management no3:po4:-x from Red Sea, a nitrate and phosphate control) haven’t used it yet I wanted to do the water change first and check again before adding it. Is it good? Worth using? My

Just a fyi, and for your understanding. And not meant to be a criticism at all since this all can be confusing. But reef crystals is just an "upgraded" salt produced by Instand Ocean. I point that out so you know u r just getting elevated levels of alk, calcium, and magnesium with it. Which isn't a bad thing but swings back n forth can be. I'm not the best at explaining things but i hope this, along with others comments, can help u get on track. The reef crystals over time may help your corals but to do so u may need to dose in between water chages to keep the levels stable and elevated to your "upgraded" salt mix levels. Otherwise the up n down in parameters may just stress your tank out more, depending on demands of the elements, etc.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to look at is what is your salinity, how r you checking it, and if you are using a refractometer , has it been calibrated.
Using a swing it’s pretty accurate it seemed to be the same as what the store has read.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I was going for the “updated salt” my calcium was a bit low so I wanted to higher that and my magnesium can go up some so it’ll all be beneficial. As for the swings I’ll have to keep testing to see how it goes and find out what I need to dose. Also need a new test kit as well so time will tell how this goes.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back