Evo 13.5 Overflow Guard to stop Goby!

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - Looking for a little guidance… about 5 days ago I purchase a small Yasha Goby for my Evo 13.5. The little guy was acclimating well until yesterday morning When I found him in the first chamber, lying on top of the filter floss of my intank aquatics media basket. Not sure how long he was there but I was able to get him back in the tank. His fins looked a little banged up but after a few hours he seemed to be ok and was eating. I know once this starts ot won’t end…Sure enough I woke up again this morning and found him back in the media basket. This time he squeezed his way down to the second level of the basket so that was fun getting him back into the tank. I really like the little guy and before I bring him back to the LFS, I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and could offer suggestions or advice to install a guard for the overflow teeth. I don’t think mesh will help because it will prevent debris from making its way into the filter. Anyone thoughts? Would like to get something in place ASAP. Thank you in advance.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It’s now happened 4 nights in a row. The nicks in his fins are gone and he looks heathy as ever. I guess I’ll try to make a diy contraption with egg crate. But don’t want to impede flow into the filter.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the egg crate and the bugger still ended up there again last night. I wondering if I should try poly fill and fill it up against the overflow. But again a little concerned about clogging the filtration. Looks like I gotta bring him back to LFS.

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robbie,

were you able to come to a solution? I have the Evo 13.5 with upgraded pump and intake canister solution as well. The intake grating is large enough for my small goby to make it through too (although he’s not done it yet). I’d like to prevent this in the future as well.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My watchman goby did the same. I just let it ride. He eventually grew big enough to stop goin through. He’s about 4” long now.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neon did the same thing now he stays in the rocks. I would let i ride he will be fine. It scared the crap out of me but they are so small what can you do . I did put foam around my returns.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neon did the same thing now he stays in the rocks. I would let i ride he will be fine. It scared the crap out of me but they are so small what can you do . I did put foam around my returns.
I do have covers on my returns. Black plexiglass

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robbie,

were you able to come to a solution? I have the Evo 13.5 with upgraded pump and intake canister solution as well. The intake grating is large enough for my small goby to make it through too (although he’s not done it yet). I’d like to prevent this in the future as well.
Hi Mike,

yes, I ended up making a contraption by gluing some egg crate together. It doesn’t stop the flow and the goby hasn’t gotten in since. It looks like he has finally taken up home in the rocks. I really didn’t think he was going to make it. At least 3 mornings I found him laying on top of the filter floss. But thankfully he seems to have settled in.

Attachments

• 26A63C9E-80E0-45B4-9A33-FFF1D54141E4.jpeg
    26A63C9E-80E0-45B4-9A33-FFF1D54141E4.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 67

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,

yes, I ended up making a contraption by gluing some egg crate together. It doesn’t stop the flow and the goby hasn’t gotten in since. It looks like he has finally taken up home in the rocks. I really didn’t think he was going to make it. At least 3 mornings I found him laying on top of the filter floss. But thankfully he seems to have settled in.

nice, I’ll have to consider it myself.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he slipped through the guard I put in and he now ended up in the second chamber which is just the heater. I don’t know how I am going to get him out

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he slipped through the guard I put in and he now ended up in the second chamber which is just the heater. I don’t know how I am going to get him out
I've been working to make some adjustments for my goby too on my 13.5 evo. Other than through the overflow guard, there is another possibility. The way the lid is designed has the two parts that interlock. However, when together, there are still some spots that can be jumped through.

20210817_100556.jpg

If you look here, there's the port the light cord comes through and the long section near the first chamber overflow that leave room to leap over. I had a similar issue with fish jumping over the back chamber wall in my Fluval flex 9 freshwater tank.

To prevent this, I cut some filter floss and put it over that gap. I also cut a shallow slot for the cord to nestle in. The second part of the lid pins it down and closes the area off. For the overflow, you could also get some reef safe window screening and a couple magnets to pin it over the overflow grate.

20210817_100545.jpg

I'm not sure if it works yet as I've only had my new (hi fin) goby for one day. It seems like it could help though.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wasn't designed for the Evo, but it may work

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back