Evo IM 30L EXT

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going everyone?

I've personally kept to local forums since I am in the big north east NY/NJ area so rarely a need to go outside of it for things. But I've been frequenting the boards more often so figured I'd invest a little time here.

I've been reefing for about 12 years since getting back to Jersey from leaving the Navy. Hobby started by my grandfather who passed away while I was in. Always remember sitting at his house in the living room while he did his maintenance. Big saltwater guy for YEARS and used to take me on LFS trips. Remember him always telling me not to tell my grandmother what everything costs.

Now, I definitely know how he feels when or if my wife dares asking me what I bought.

This particular tank was setup beginning of May 2020. It was between buying a new car or getting back into the hobby.

I sold my RED SEA 350 about 9-12months prior due to life and decided that a smaller tank was my best option and try to automate as much as possible. Once sports kicks off for my 3 sons, I have work then out at practices 5 days a week, 5PM til about 930PM then shower, eat and rest before waking up to do it all over again. Weekends - game time and travel for all 3. Soccer (club) and football.

Equipment
Setup IM30 EXT with the APS aluminum stand
Prestige LED/T5 hybrid. 4 ATI Blue Plus ATM. Will switch up with a Purple plus or Coral plus in there.
Skimz UP22 Sump
Jebao DCP 4000
Jebao RW4
IceCap CP1000 or whatever it is called
2x Eshopps Doser with container
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Eheim 200watt heater
RK Elite controller
RKE has float switch for ATO
Eshopps ATO container

Dosing
Red Sea AB+
2 Part ESV
Mag - Kent Tech M
NYOS NO3
ME Coral Iodine

I was dosing DIY NOPOX but as seen above, I started dosing NO3 since NOPOX stripped away all my NO3 into undetectable levels on a salifert kit. Need to get a hanna kit and send off for ICP test.

Only dosing at 1 drop until I can detect the levels on my test kit. If you dose, I would only recommend taking it slow, undetectable after multiple tests and if the colors on your corals look pale.

Media:
4 table spoons of GAC
4 table spoons of ROWAPHOS in 2x TLF reactors.

Onto my livestock. I like keeping my notes on lineage and where I purchased things so if/when I sell, all documented.

Livestock
Fish
Right now have a pair of TR Snowflakes clowns from ICONIC
Midas blenny - ABSOLUTELY FISH
Rainford Goby - ICONIC
Biota Yellow tang - Under 1" **Will be trading it once it gets too big for tank.** - ICONIC

Inverts
CLEANER SHRIMP - ICONIC

Corals
SPS
Several monticaps - red, green, neon green
Spongode
ORA Green birdsnest

SPS added 06/27/2020 - BONOMO

RR Dday
Lady in Pink
Rainbow Milli
Neon Green Milli
Aussie Tieera Del Fuego
Voodoo Magic
Red Dragon
Indo Tenius
Pink Lemonade
Fox Flame

07/07/2020
POTO SEXY BEAST
POTO GWEN STEPHANI
POTO DRAGON FIRE

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

LPS
ICONIC - Black Torch (Cristata) - RIP
ICONIC - Dragon Soul Torch
ICONIC - HOLY GRAIL HAMMER
POTO - UC Cottom Candy Torch
POTO - PURPLE DEATH TORCH
POTO - Indo Bicolor Tip Torch
CC 21 Tails Torch!!

07/07/2020

POTO MINION PARTY GONI

Definitely want
Aussie Gold Torch
Pink, Orange, Splatter and pretty much any nice somewhat rare color hammer

Zoas (always my favorite since I can grow them like weeds!)

LILAC WINES
BUTT MUNCHERS
BLONDIE BLUE EYES
RAINBOW INFUSION
GLITTERBUGS

Big shout out to Eric for the following:

Bowties
Speckled Krakatoa
NYRA Neverbeast
Latin Lovers
Aztec Sundials
JF BLOODSHOTS
UTTER CHAOS
Red Hornets
Blue Hornets
Rainbow Hornets
Space Monsters
SPIDERMAN OR SUPERMAN
WWC Twizzlers
JF Stargazers
Gatorades
Nirvana
Electric oompa loompas
Orange Oxides or Fruit Loops
Kedd Reds

ADDED 06/27/2020

LINEAGE - ICONIC GMK - Grand Master Krak!

Softie

Jawbreaker Mushroom

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a feedback on either MarineDepot or BRS that stated the Skimz Sumpro UP22 fit the APS NUVO stand without modification. It was a better option than a BASHEA sump that was thrown out there as another option.

Sadly.....The Skimz Sumpro does NOT fit without modification. It is long by maybe 5mm~. I didn't want to force the fit especially since I just paid 300$ for it. Fcuk that. I lined it up against the board that sits at the bottom and confirmed that it is just long and the board JUST fits.

Now I have to build a bottom to fit the space but the good news is I do have additional 2 x 4 lumber from other home projects that I can use. So no additional cost but a pain that the stand is so limited and no good sump options for the stand. If the stand allowed more internal space for a sump with no modifications, it would be a nice clean option while on sale. Pretty pricey but it is a nice option, light weight, aluminum so no rust, etc. So there are pluses but being a stand expected to house a sump and other reef equipment it isn't ideal.

I really wanted to make some type of water proofing possible with showerpan liner for extra peace of mind but I don't know if that is even a possibility with this stand.

I've had my skimmer go crazy a few times but since adding an output into the sump, I have not had to worry about smimmer overflowing out of sump.

We had recent blackouts due to t-storms and again, happy to report no issues with equipment and tank starting back up with no hiccups.

I just added an AI 16HD Prime to supplement the light. Wasnt filling like I hoped. May add another but we'll see my PAR this weekend.

1594278288247.gif 1594278288343.gif 1594278288412.gif 1594278288488.gif

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not a single pic or video?

picture says a 1000 words and encourage you to take and post recent pics of main tank and sump.

OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I need a gel filter!

Will do a.s.a.p!

Things I am working on...

Getting PAR #s down to see what I can place where. I think I may be blasting my corals right now so I need to get a reading sooner than later.

Cc21 tails prefers to be shaded and away from all the light. Start losing color if I place it out in the open.

A few SPS had to be moved back down to sandbed as color started to pale while sitting on the frag racks.

They are showing signs of progress back down below.

Dosing NOPOX really getting on my nerves with too much bacteria slime on my filter socks. Clogging them within 4 days. I was only dosing 1mL per day. Stopped while I increase NO3 then I can try to stabilize at 5~ ppm. Will aim for the 16:1 NO3:pO4.

Besides those two. Really have to try to stop moving things and just let the tank thrive on its own while keeping attention specifically to parameters.

OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters

Last month swings
NO3: Undetectable
Alk: 8.3-8.8dkh
CA: 440-510
** CA jumped on me last week. Dosing turned off and it's back down to 460~ right now.
PO4: .029-0.04
MAG: 1280-1350. Stable past week or two at 1350
SG: 1.024-1.025

Feed
Nori for tang
LRS reef frenzy or Hiraki Mysis
Corals get Red Sea AB+ daily and atleast twice a week will give them Reef Roids.

OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So decided I was ready to make sure I was doing it right. PAR Reading day. Taken with a Apogee MQ510 handheld whatever it is.

Either way.

I was initially way off on my numbers. Reading low EVERYWHERE especially where I needed it to be on my SPS pieces.

Sitting with hot spots but have to make it work. Budget on build right now and new lights won't happen until early next year or Xmas if I am nice and wife allows it!

Marine depot failed to get ship my flex mount and now I am waiting for a new shipment. Didn't even upgrade the shipping.

I am contemplating on ordering from them next time and will move over to BRS until BRS screws up. That's why you have to treat your customers right when you fc*k up. Especially when they've spent a pretty decent amount from your site.

PAR 07112020.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with proper PAR readings.....Will easy to keep acros like bubble gum digi, tubb stelleta, etc do fine (grow and keep good color) at a little over 200 PAR or in that 190 back wall area?

Will acros do well on the sand bed? I actually like the thought of having a few acros growing off the sb.

Cencalreefer56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with proper PAR readings.....Will easy to keep acros like bubble gum digi, tubb stelleta, etc do fine (grow and keep good color) at a little over 200 PAR or in that 190 back wall area?

Will acros do well on the sand bed? I actually like the thought of having a few acros growing off the sb.
I haven’t done par readings on my tank but I’d guess my bubble gum digi sits at around 250 par and is doing fine, have my ai prime sitting at 80% on uv and violet with my blue channels up there as well. My advice to you is to not chase numbers, I’ve never used a par meter and have wondered often times where my numbers sit but just observations alone will tell you a lot about the health of your tank. I’ve also noticed coral health can be attributed to fish waste and feedings, I wouldn’t chase numbers there as well if everything appears to be doing fine. Dosing NOPox and other things to try and compete with numbers that are “recommended” can actually do more harm than good just from my own personal experience. I do 20% water changes weekly, skimmer rated 40-80 gallons, chaeto in refugium on 24 hour cycle with 4 fish currently in a 20 long. Everything is colored up and growing so far, have some green hair algae here and there because I know my phosphates stay low but other than that I’ve found the 20% water changes really keep my tank stable. They also did in my last tank. As far as corals bleaching out I always put my frags on sandbed for about a week to two weeks to acclimate them to my light then move them accordingly and monitor polyp extension and coloration throughout the next few weeks. I feed the BTAs 3x a week and LPS 2x a week. Used coral frenzy in the past for SPS but haven’t the last few years and still had great success on SPS. No acros in my tank yet! So I can’t comment on the sand bed idea, I’m not sure how they would do with sand constantly on them if that were to happen. Hope this helps, love the dimensions of your tank! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing water changes weekly at a 15-20% range before I started testing. Started seeing unhappy coral or just not the best of them. So I decided to test and my #s were way off from one change to the next (this was without dosing). So I changed from weekly to about every 2-3 weeks before water changes and keep tank stable by dosing. I have been able to keep my numbers pretty stable fluctuating within a .5dkh range in alk, ~10-20ppm in CA and .01-.02ppm in PO4 so not insanely stable but that's fairly low fluctation, imo. Doing water changes is a good way to start off but with my life schedule (kids do a crazy amount of sports), 3 kids, all doing sports actively and usually out practicing right after work and get home around 930-10PM at night. I coach and then kids have club / private trainer. So I need to keep stable via dosing vs constant water changes.

Either way, I appreciate the response and what you are saying has a lot of truth to it.

If you know your numbers and get them set to where you want it, it limits the need to guess or have your corals tell you what is wrong. You know you placed them wrong, etc. So there is some good insight to knowing your PAR.

Cencalreefer56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing water changes weekly at a 15-20% range before I started testing. Started seeing unhappy coral or just not the best of them. So I decided to test and my #s were way off from one change to the next (this was without dosing). So I changed from weekly to about every 2-3 weeks before water changes and keep tank stable by dosing. I have been able to keep my numbers pretty stable fluctuating within a .5dkh range in alk, ~10-20ppm in CA and .01-.02ppm in PO4 so not insanely stable but that's fairly low fluctation, imo. Doing water changes is a good way to start off but with my life schedule (kids do a crazy amount of sports), 3 kids, all doing sports actively and usually out practicing right after work and get home around 930-10PM at night. I coach and then kids have club / private trainer. So I need to keep stable via dosing vs constant water changes.

Either way, I appreciate the response and what you are saying has a lot of truth to it.

If you know your numbers and get them set to where you want it, it limits the need to guess or have your corals tell you what is wrong. You know you placed them wrong, etc. So there is some good insight to knowing your PAR.

You make really valid points, honestly I think that gives me a new outlook to reefing for the next few years once the school year starts back up. I’m in education so right now I have a lot of time but eventually I want my system to be automated. Makes sense, and you’re right in that those are pretty small fluctuations. Thanks for the insight, I can’t wait to see this thing filled up, have you thought of two ai primes? Or is that not an option right now? I just think two would give you a nice even spread utilizing the same type of pucks. I could be wrong!

OP
OP
E

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have but I am nervous that the #s wont give me what I am looking for. Right now I do have a hot spot and not overpowering my AI prime. I think it peaks at 46w using modified BRS ab+ recommended settings. I modified blues to give off a more 16-18k look and lowered my whites. I could be wrong and hurt coral growth by going a bluer tone but I like looking at my tank 90% of the day vs not looking at it during peak hours under a 12k-14k look. Just doesnt pop.

As long as color stays, some growth is apparent and not seeing them die off. I am absolutely fine being moderate to "slower" growth if that is the negative effects.

I may buy another AI prime down the line after I see how it goes with the current setup. I dont like making too many changes in any quick progression. Only to make corrections if something is way out of whack which I havent had to deal with just yet.

Tank has done fairly well. No outbreaks of any kind. Dipping my corals to ensure nothing gets in and just making a change, watching what happens, let 2 weeks go by before I make another change, if needed or add more sticks.

Got my eyes on, SC Orange Passion, Garf Bonsai, TCK Pikachu, OG Red Planet, RR Wolverine and a Walt Disney as my next batch.

We'll see how it plays out.

Back