EXO ATO new installation does not work in the dark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cmrehder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
We installed a brand new Reef Breeders EXO ATO into the return chamber of a BioCube 29. Installed on the back clear glass. It turns on immediately regardless of placement relative to the water surface and never turns off. I then placed it in another clear vessel on a table and it worked normally and correctly. Placed it back in the biocube and then the same as before always runs. Shined a light down into the return chamber and it works correctly as long at the light is shining on it. Strange. This ATO is supposed to work in the dark , correct? IS this one just bad out of the box? Thoughts?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I replied to your email yesterday.

Is the glass on your biocube clear? These don't work through tinted or painted glass

OP
OP
C

cmrehder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It does not seem to be related to the light/dark situation.

My Biocube 29 is glass and apparently it is too thick for this Reef Breeders EXO ATO. It works great in several other thin walled vessels that I have laying around so it might work well in an acrylic situation like a sump or a thin walled AIO Tank. The older Coralife Biocube 29 is .25" clear glass and it just doesn't work here, for me.

In fairness, the Reef Breeders website and the instructions both say good up to .2" thick so I guess I wish I had read those first. But it is surprisingly disappointing that for retail tag of $99, it doesn't work in my scenario.
20210402_102625.jpg
20210402_102657.jpg
20210402_102723.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back