Experience with mars aqua China lights

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an eBay deal I just couldn’t refuse..... any experience with these? I’ve read good reviews on other sites but any personal experience? If you need lights maybe try them out with me ? 8 left!

D9F729E0-DD32-4571-801A-C54F49FAD2D4.png FAA516BE-C4BA-4C5E-8E37-7FAD4D955E8F.png

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out BRS review - they just did a show on these. Basically a terrible light. Spend the few extra bucks and get a couple AI hydra. You will be disappointed with the lights of you are trying to use them to grow coral.

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out BRS review - they just did a show on these. Basically a terrible light. Spend the few extra bucks and get a couple AI hydra. You will be disappointed with the lights of you are trying to use them to grow coral.
what if I paired them with my t5s

RamblinSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto the BRS review. Basically Mars Aqua is worst of the worst. If you're looking to save money (like me!) then they said that Viparspectra is winner of the inexpensive black boxes. A lot of people will say spend the extra 50-100 for something nicer but I've definitely seen people post here and elsewhere about making the black boxes work. I'm planning to use Viparspectra and just mount them super high above the tank based on their review video.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would certainly help with the spectrum. In the video, the recommendation was to mount them very high. ~ 20" if I remember correctly. There were bad hot spots - the distance evened out the spread.

Tank dimensions?

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would certainly help with the spectrum. In the video, the recommendation was to mount them very high. ~ 20" if I remember correctly. There were bad hot spots - the distance evened out the spread.

Tank dimensions?
90 gallon 48x18x24

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the Vipars were the clear winner by far. Reefbreeders might also be a consideration - and a good middle ground between the BB and high end fixtures.
I had them ordered prior to post. But both lights for 85 bucks to my door? I really feel like it’s gonna be okay. But now y’all have me concerned

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think you'll kill anything with them, just mount them high. But also manage your expectation. You will not be able to grow what I would consider a stunning mixed reef with them. They simply don't have the spectrum, or spectrum blending attributes required for this. In a heartbeat, I would use a cheap or used t5 or MH setup loooooooooooooooooooooooooong before I used those. They will grow coral though, and perhaps could get you by until the next upgrade.

I'm happy to help you source one of these systems if you need a hand.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually love my Mars Aqua for my 75g reef. I have them mounted 12" above the water and I am getting good par numbers (around 400) at top for SPS. I do not even use whites on mine and all corals are very happy, SPS are growing fast and encrusting.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used many cheap black boxes (sb reef, reefbreeders, Mars aqua, viparspectra) and they've all been just fine (and they will grow any coral no problem). Give it a try and if it's horrible then send it back to Amazon.

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll kill anything with them, just mount them high. But also manage your expectation. You will not be able to grow what I would consider a stunning mixed reef with them. They simply don't have the spectrum, or spectrum blending attributes required for this. In a heartbeat, I would use a cheap or used t5 or MH setup loooooooooooooooooooooooooong before I used those. They will grow coral though, and perhaps could get you by until the next upgrade.

I'm happy to help you source one of these systems if you need a hand.
I have a used t5 but for the price of bulbs I saved 50 percent ‍♂️

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll grow just about anything. You have to adjust the spectrum manually. And you’ll have to get a timer for them to turn on and off unless you want to do that manually. Again they will work but have no features. I bought one and mounted it over my tank with square tubing. Lasted five minutes. Didn’t like how it looked then got rid of them.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True - BRS doesn't sell them. They are toys, and I wouldn't sell them either. They measured the Mars Aqua against the standard that they use for the rest of their lights, and they failed miserably. And we aren't even getting into safety aspects here.

I get it - I started this hobby without a lot of money to spend, so I know what it's like to have to consider cost effective equipment. Heck I still do. Yes, they will grow corals. Yes, I think there are MUCH better cost effective options.

By-the-by - let's see some pics of these tanks using the Mars Aqua, long term. Height above tank? Spectrum settings? Photoperiod?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back