Experiences with Witch Hazel for STN treatment

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone here used the witch hazel treatment protocol from reef moonshiners to stop STN? Curious if you saw any negative side effects and if it worked.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi
When I used, it did not work. That was my experience with hazel
Did you follow the protocol to the T including adding bacteria, removing GFO/Carbon, etc?

chelltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is the update results after treating the tank in accordance with reef moonshiners directions . First and foremost no fish or invertebrates appeared affected negatively by the treatment it in any way. However the witch hazel did have alcohol and combined with dosing the bacteria it is good to keep in mind that nitrates will drop my stayed at zero throughout the treatment. I saw no ill effect to my torch and hammer corals , however the green slimer that was already in the process of stn continued to stn with no recovery , also lost a milipora and a purple stylo. All in all cant say definitively if the treatment did anything for the tank other than keeping nitrates low and the benefits of adding more bacteria to tank. In my experience definitely cant say its was any kind of obvious miracle cure . But who knows maybe it saved my torches from future illness ?? Probably would have gotten the same if not better benefits by doing several water changes .

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sps reef started STNing around August 12th. It continued moving through several corals over two weeks with no sign of stopping. I was able to Frag many of the affected corals but not all. I finally decided to give the Moonshiners Witch Hazel treatment a go. The STN appeared to slow down but not stop while treating the first week. After the 10th day I saw no further STN. Several corals that had STN had patches of healthy coral that never bleached out indicating that something stopped the STN in its tracks. I went ahead and treated for 14 days. I also saw no negative affects on fish or invertebrates. I carbon dose but stopped during treatment. My nitrates didn’t drop. I suspect the alcohol just took the place of the carbon I stopped dosing. In fact when all was said and done, my N03 and P04 actually elevated. I attribute it to the good bacteria killed off by the Which Hazel. I did add Probidio bacteria per instructions. It’s been three weeks now and there has been no new STN. I can’t say 100% the Witch Hazel did the trick but it wasn’t slowing down until I treated.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back