Expired Medications

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to keep medications on hand in case we need to treat for ailment or parasite. However, a majority of these medications expire, so does the product need to be discarded or can they still be effectively used after the expiration date?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the stabilizers used in the product and what other chemicals are present, is the container sealed and airtight, etc. I wouldn't not use them if I needed them.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the stabilizers used in the product and what other chemicals are present, is the container sealed and airtight, etc. I wouldn't not use them if I needed them.

yes all is sealed and airtight, just waiting for a rainy day. I was cleaning my supply cabinet and noticed the product expired.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to keep medications on hand in case we need to treat for ailment or parasite. However, a majority of these medications expire, so does the product need to be discarded or can they still be effectively used after the expiration date?

Depends on the medication. Antibiotics lose potency after their expiration date, and I keep hearing rumors that Prazipro can go bad over time.

People assume that aquarium medication manufacturers have labs that test all this stuff, but they don't. That means they either just pick an expiration date out of thin air, or they use one from the component drug that they bought to make their product.

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If powder… put them in the freezer and they will last many many years. At least humblefish tested some after keeping them in the freezer for many years past expiration and they were found to not have lost much potency and still usable.

Something like copper will also not go bad.

So that leaves prazipro and ruby rally that are the ones that probably expire.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back