Expired test kits

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I’ve been testing with expired Red Sea kits for the last 7 months o_O.

I know that test kits are relatively inexpensive and a very important part of reefing. But I also know that expiration dates are not always accurate in a lot of cases.

So my question is how important are exp dates on test reagents. And would you feel comfortable testing with expired reagents, and if so, how far past the date?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Expired Red Sea test kits as a backup. Generally I use Hanna Checkers. One main concern is the Red Sea Alk test. The Reagent seems to oxidize before the expiration date. The color is more of an orangish color. As long as you can determine the color change the test kit should still work but may not be as accurate as it would be fresh.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bottle of expired Hanna alk reagent that I've been using, it has matched my non expired bottle whenever I check against it. It is 9 months post expiration.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back