Explain morphing?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have read how many corals and especially zoas can morph under different lighting. I’m seeing that first hand in my tank. If I take them out of my tank and put them in someone else’s they will likely change again. Now when you go get a new named type of zoa this doesn’t seem like the same thing to me because in general they seem to stay fairly true to their coloring. These almost seem “bred” into a certain color or pattern.

So if a whole colony changes color over time is this a morph? And if say a colony holds its color but then starts producing new heads that have changed is this also a morph? It seems different to me.

I guess my question is when we talk about different named zoas are we just looking at different “morphs” or is there a better term for it? Also has anyone here first hand have a zoa colony hold its color but then start producing new polyps of a different color or pattern?

Thanks, John

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have read how many corals and especially zoas can morph under different lighting. I’m seeing that first hand in my tank. If I take them out of my tank and put them in someone else’s they will likely change again. Now when you go get a new named type of zoa this doesn’t seem like the same thing to me because in general they seem to stay fairly true to their coloring. These almost seem “bred” into a certain color or pattern.

So if a whole colony changes color over time is this a morph? And if say a colony holds its color but then starts producing new heads that have changed is this also a morph? It seems different to me.

I guess my question is when we talk about different named zoas are we just looking at different “morphs” or is there a better term for it? Also has anyone here first hand have a zoa colony hold its color but then start producing new polyps of a different color or pattern?

Thanks, John
Basically any color pattern change is called a "morph" in the hobby independent of the situation.
Simple as that.
Grandis.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying a simple shift in colors because of lighting is not a morph, it needs to hold its characteristics not relying on anything special in any one tank?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it actually CHANGES it's color by ANY influence and KEEP it's new color under that situation, yes.
REFLECTION by a different spectrum, for example, doesn't mean there was an actually change in the zoas' colors per say.
We are talking about the actual changing of its pigments' colors, and it's very common. Normally it happens as an adaptation.
Grandis.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I believe to be utter chaos(anyone want to confirm that) that seems to have produced a different color polyp, albeit a lackluster color. We’ll see as it grows if it gains the orange back. I got this with 1 polyp and everyone I’ve seen grow has had a lot of orange from the very beginning, this one very little.

0DDFF7AF-B0C9-45BB-917B-E8B2AF332B0F.jpeg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that kinda stuff happens all the time.
Forget the cartoon names. They are just part of a money machine.
If zoa decided to change color you can't use that cartoon name anymore.
LOL!
Grandis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back