View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
I have been running this system for 2 weeks with base rock and a very small piece of live rock, with nothing then within hours of the last time I looked out of nowhere I have noticed algae everywhere even visibly on the glass. It's even creating microbubbles a a surprisingly fast rate. I've never seen anything like it in a freshwater system. I'm assuming it's just part of the cycle but would like to know for sure. And maybe slow it down as I said it is even on the glass. I am still waiting on my saltwater test kits to come in the mail so I can't post the params

OP
OP
Saltybubbles288

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should seriously consider starting The snails and cuc imo.
I was just about to look that exact thing up when this post was already open on my phone. I would love to add some Snails when I get the sand tomorrow but would the Snails be able to handle the upcoming spikes in nitrite and nitrate from the cycle?

OP
OP
Saltybubbles288

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've got a few nearby including SB Reefs. I'll pick up a snail or two tomorrow my test kits should be here soon so I'll test them then and go from there. It's just so fast the tank has only been running 2 weeks but i started with an established protienskimmer oddly enough. Maybe it boosted the cycle.

OP
OP
Saltybubbles288

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the "base rock" out a system that a failed about a month prior but sat in a tub with saltwater up until 2 days before I picked it up. And put .3 lb piece of live rock in to seed the coralline

OP
OP
Saltybubbles288

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
@saltyfilmfolks Most of the Snails are doing pretty well, I'll have to add more soon they are doing their jobs but they are fighting an up hill battle. Thanks for the advice it's nice to see a bit of life in here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back