Exposing Zoa Frags to UV

  • Thread starter Thread starter Exus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Do not expose your zoas to UVC light from the UV Sweeper. That would be using it not for its intended purposes and it will most likely kill the zoas with prolonged exposure.

The concerns about safety were expressed in that thread a few pages into it. In testing no detectable UVC light was detectable beyond the aquarium glass even with the Sweeper within a couple inches of the glass. Deeper in that thread another member confirmed this with his own test. I treated my tank over a month and all fish and also invertebrates were completely fine. I also had an increasing pod population at the time.

The UV Sweeper is specifically made to treat sand and in that manner fish and coral are completely safe. In testing I was surprised to find out you get exposed to far more UVC from your reef lights (XR15 I had at the time) while working on the tank.

The kit includes directions how to properly use the UV Sweeper along with UV reef glasses as a precaution.
 
If you ever try it report back, I want info on true uv and corals
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new