Extended hammer coral

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so today I have noticed that my hammer coral is way more extended than it’s ever been. Is this something I should be worried about?

2C2649B7-D1EA-465A-B48D-5F13F3706986.jpeg 8CAFC8EE-CF63-4AC5-812C-9AEABF54DD1F.jpeg

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes my hammers get extended or fluffy right before they split and grow two (sometimes three;) separate heads. I dont know if that is what you are seeing or not with your extension.

OP
OP
DIAZ REEF

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes my hammers get extended or fluffy right before they split and grow two (sometimes three;) separate heads. I dont know if that is what you are seeing or not with your extension.
I haven’t noticed this but at the same time I’m not sure what to look for.

OP
OP
DIAZ REEF

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has flow changed?
Mi e fluffed up when I improved flow
Yesterday I slightly moved them away from the glass so I assume yes because now the flow pump point in front of it but hitting the glass, as suppose to beside it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it’s likely it is improving. It’s important though to not do too much flow, as this can actually tear the flesh from the skeleton. That doesn’t seem to be the case in the picture, though.

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
euphyllia coral extend /retract based off lighting and flow & fairly quickly in my experience. Higher lighting or higher flow you’ll find they retract more. Less light or less flow you’ll find the extend more. It’s actually what I use as an indicator for the Euphyllia corals and if they are in proper lighting / flow conditions. There are other things that can influence this , ie sudden change in alkalinity, nutrients, pests, for example. But we’ll exclude those for now and presume your stable as far as that goes? I like the flow and overall size they bring to a tank once grown out. It’s why they are my favorite corals. So I prefer to put them in the lower flow/ light part of my tank to pull that visual appeal of why I put them in the tank.

this was started as 1 frag with 1 head. And I look forward to my light cycle where it’s dim and “stretched” for light as seen here.

B8D85804-0F2A-43EC-946F-0A839F0B52C5.jpeg

OP
OP
DIAZ REEF

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
euphyllia coral extend /retract based off lighting and flow & fairly quickly in my experience. Higher lighting or higher flow you’ll find they retract more. Less light or less flow you’ll find the extend more. It’s actually what I use as an indicator for the Euphyllia corals and if they are in proper lighting / flow conditions. There are other things that can influence this , ie sudden change in alkalinity, nutrients, pests, for example. But we’ll exclude those for now and presume your stable as far as that goes? I like the flow and overall size they bring to a tank once grown out. It’s why they are my favorite corals. So I prefer to put them in the lower flow/ light part of my tank to pull that visual appeal of why I put them in the tank.

this was started as 1 frag with 1 head. And I look forward to my light cycle where it’s dim and “stretched” for light as seen here.

B8D85804-0F2A-43EC-946F-0A839F0B52C5.jpeg
Wow beautiful, thanks for the reply

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 76.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back