Extending Aquabus Cables

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we use a standard USB Coupler to extend aquabus cables?

I need about 45' worth of Aquabus to reach the remote DOS I will be using for Auto Water Changes. The longest cord I could find was 35', and I have a 10' Aquabus cord as well.

Both cords are Male/Male so I need a coupler in order to make it work.

I know it specifically says in multiple threads and on the guide to never use regular USB Cables in place of the aquabus, but would a regular USB Coupler be ok to connect two cables?

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any USB extension cable as long as it doesn't have a repeater. Aqua-bus drives 12vdc through the line rather than the standard 5vdc. As to the reliability for distance...search Neptune for that answer. But an aqua-bus cable is just a standard USB cable.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add just a little more color to this discussion.

A problem you may have at those distances is resistance of the line with USB. USB just isn't spec'd for 12vdc as it is a 5vdc standard. For long lengths, and I'm sure Neptune has probably tested the maximum reliable length, you are going to want a cable that is a minimum USB/28/24, where the power wires are of a heavier gauge. You are going to hit a brick wall at a certain distance since there is a standard for USB (I think 16ft) and how cables are made to adhere to that standard. This is why longer length cables are considered "active" or as a "repeater". They will have circuitry in the cable to boost the signal over longer distances. Daisy chaining cables beyond spec'd lengths may lead to undesirable results.

Daniel D Dawson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not remember the length of cable but had ordered one to run from my apex in my living room to an eb8 in my garage that runs my mixing station equipment. Definatelt a little more pricey but worth it to me to do it right. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
A

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well neptune sells 35' long Aquabus Cables, so I know the signal is not going to be an issue.
I'll grab a standard usb coupler and fire it up.
Thanks for the info.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back