Extra filtering

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this Polyfil and put it on top of my foam filter. Is this ok or not? Pictures of what I bought and placement on foam filter.

20210418_160825.jpg 20210418_160940.jpg 20210418_160935.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have a fire retardant on it, hard to say, if you could get a hold of the manufacturer to check that would be the safest thing to do.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PolyFil on my fresh water tanks. Have for years, and love the stuff. I use a different brand, so not sure if yours is safe. Some have mold prohibitors, etc... One thing to keep in mind is that the PolyFil will clog much faster than your course sponge. When this happens, the water will just flow over the top. From the looks of your setup, you shouldn't have to worry about your return running dry, but you may have to change out the pillow fluff pretty often for it to stay effective.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PolyFil on my fresh water tanks. Have for years, and love the stuff. I use a different brand, so not sure if yours is safe. Some have mold prohibitors, etc... One thing to keep in mind is that the PolyFil will clog much faster than your course sponge. When this happens, the water will just flow over the top. From the looks of your setup, you shouldn't have to worry about your return running dry, but you may have to change out the pillow fluff pretty often for it to stay effective.
I bought the polyfil quilt batting and layered. Will what happens. So far, so good. Keeping a watchful eye on it though so I will have a good idea of how often to change it. I have called Ployfil to ask if there is a fire retardant in it, because it does not say on the packing that there is a fire retardant in it. Some do but this one did not. Waiting on a return call from them to see if they can answer my question.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the polyfil quilt batting and layered. Will what happens. So far, so good. Keeping a watchful eye on it though so I will have a good idea of how often to change it. I have called Ployfil to ask if there is a fire retardant in it, because it does not say on the packing that there is a fire retardant in it. Some do but this one did not. Waiting on a return call from them to see if they can answer my question.
UPDATE: Called the manufacturer and they said there are no fire retardant not any chemicals in their polyfil.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back