Extruded Aluminum Stand vs Wood Stand

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my system from an 80 to a 250gal which will be a long term dream tank situation! The stand I got with the tank is anything but convenient for a reef setup which means a new stand is in order!

SO THE QUESTION IS:
Do I built a wood stand like I have in the past for other tanks or do I go the tslot, extruded aluminum, 80/20 route.

Show me pictures of your stands that are built out with all the customizations! Tell me what features you love the most! Anything you wish you had done differently?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my system from an 80 to a 250gal which will be a long term dream tank situation! The stand I got with the tank is anything but convenient for a reef setup which means a new stand is in order!

SO THE QUESTION IS:
Do I built a wood stand like I have in the past for other tanks or do I go the tslot, extruded aluminum, 80/20 route.

Show me pictures of your stands that are built out with all the customizations! Tell me what features you love the most! Anything you wish you had done differently?
I think it depends on your ability to work with wood lol. 80/20 is much easier to assemble IMO and looks much better. But it’s also more expensive .

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your ability to work with wood lol. 80/20 is much easier to assemble IMO and looks much better. But it’s also more expensive .
Fully agree! I've built wood stands in the past but not aluminum. There's definitely a cost difference but I do love the look of 80/20 and seeing things like tool/bin mounts, drawer slides, hinges etc makes my mind run with the customization I could easily do as the tank matures

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4582.jpeg

Not completely done, missing some gussets and finish partitioning below the stand. I would definitely go aluminum and plastics.

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4582.jpeg

Not completely done, missing some gussets and finish partitioning below the stand. I would definitely go aluminum and plastics.
Such a clean look with endless acccess. Looks like youve got a dream tank in your future! What's your plan for skinning the stand?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using pvc panels and vinyl wrapping them matte white. It also makes it easy to change coloring in the future. Instead of hinges I’m using Buttonfix connectors. You can see the turquoise half of the connector mounted to the 8020. The panels will snap on and off.

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using pvc panels and vinyl wrapping them matte white. It also makes it easy to change coloring in the future. Instead of hinges I’m using Buttonfix connectors. You can see the turquoise half of the connector mounted to the 8020. The panels will snap on and off.
That's an awesome idea! Definitely have to share photos when it's all put together

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120. If I could do it all over, I would have done aluminum. It’s pricey but so much less worry about whether it’s strong enough, etc. Access seems so much easier as well.

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to worry about nothing. Even with a tall stand, 3’, a single white 2x4 will hold over a ton with over a 50% safety margin.
The factory stand that came with my 250 is essentially all 1x material with no internal framework. We definitely don't place enough trust in wood haha

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to worry about nothing. Even with a tall stand, 3’, a single white 2x4 will hold over a ton with over a 50% safety margin.
Thank you @The_Paradox ! Not sure if you’ve noticed the amount of debate and over-engineering of wood stands here. That said, I’m sure a lot of folks are “better safe than sorry”.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @The_Paradox ! Not sure if you’ve noticed the amount of debate and over-engineering of wood stands here. That said, I’m sure a lot of folks are “better safe than sorry”.

Pros and cons to both so not taking sides. Just stating that even a pretty craptastic wood stand will hold literally tons. Willing to bet most of the tanks in here are sitting on a subfloor which is just a 2x6 on edge with strand/ply over it or if you’re lucky maybe durock.

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found myself in the rabbit hole of extruded aluminum questioning what size I'd need to support the new 250gal and realized I was building something far stronger than my own floors. The tank might go through the floor but hey my stand was still intact!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my stand out of some kitchen cabinets. I wanted a toe kick, most stands don’t have one, it’s nice, but you loose potential height in the stand. I bought solid wood cabinets off Amazon that needed to be assembled so no particle board to swell and be destroyed. And I could beef them up to hold the weight. Mine has wet side and a dry electrical side, and a panel to control stuff. The wet side is fully lined with frp wall panels so it’s water resistant. The dry side has 2 dedicated circuits for the reef for redundancy and audible gfcis for safety. I also ran a switched outlet to the control
Panel for easy access for on/off plugging in a temporary maintenance pump for cleaning etc. in between the 2 cabinets I used is A channel for air to be vented from the stand. I have 2 computer fans pulling air out of the stand and pushing it underneath the stand and in have 2
More fans on the toe kick pulling out air under the stand. Keeps it nice and dry in and under the stand.

Over all it’s a very simple looking stand but a lot of work went into it. It’s incredibly strong and I stand on the quartz top all the time doing maintenance
IMG_1068.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpeg
IMG_0880.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg

OP
OP
cloud9aquariums

cloud9aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my stand out of some kitchen cabinets. I wanted a toe kick, most stands don’t have one, it’s nice, but you loose potential height in the stand. I bought solid wood cabinets off Amazon that needed to be assembled so no particle board to swell and be destroyed. And I could beef them up to hold the weight. Mine has wet side and a dry electrical side, and a panel to control stuff. The wet side is fully lined with frp wall panels so it’s water resistant. The dry side has 2 dedicated circuits for the reef for redundancy and audible gfcis for safety. I also ran a switched outlet to the control
Panel for easy access for on/off plugging in a temporary maintenance pump for cleaning etc. in between the 2 cabinets I used is A channel for air to be vented from the stand. I have 2 computer fans pulling air out of the stand and pushing it underneath the stand and in have 2
More fans on the toe kick pulling out air under the stand. Keeps it nice and dry in and under the stand.

Over all it’s a very simple looking stand but a lot of work went into it. It’s incredibly strong and I stand on the quartz top all the time doing maintenance
IMG_1068.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpeg
IMG_0880.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg
Definitely can see tons of planning went into this but it turned out awesome! +1 for the wood stand guys

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the parts and pieces for this?
8020.net for all the extrusions and fasteners. Their proprietary Anchor fasteners seem to be the strongest available that I was able to find. The leveling feet are 316 SS from McMaster Carr. The starboard was purchased locally and cutout with a water jet.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. The stand of the big tank is completely made out of wood and skinned with acrylic sheets. Wood is super easy to work with and a lot cheaper than aluminum. However, if I was planning an in-wall tank that’s gonna be staying out for 20 years or so I would most likely do aluminum or powder coated steel.

1695114782772.jpeg

1695114801148.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back